31st Great Taste of the Midwest Pre-Festival Parties

Reads 2693 • Replies 21 • Started Tuesday, August 1, 2017 5:58:46 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Skyview
admin
beers 6263 º 01:40 Tue 8/8/2017

Originally posted by jackl
Originally posted by Skyview
The 2017 Great Taste of the Midwest program has just been uploaded to their website. LINK

Awesome. Have any under-the-radar recommendations from this year’s list?

Yes, D*mn It! - Central Waters Ardea Insignis Imperial Stout

One weird one that got me curious is the Chocolate Covered Cricket Porter from Water Street. Brewed with 50,000 crickets. I’m curious if our native Minnesotian Foodie, Andrew Zimmern, (Bizarre Foods) would recommend this one.

Skyview
admin
beers 6263 º 01:48 Tue 8/8/2017

Originally posted by islay
The 2017 Great Taste of the Midwest program has just been uploaded to their website. LINK

I’m a big Pig Minds fan. Much better than a lot of more heralded breweries from Chicago; perhaps even my favorite brewery in Illinois.

The Brewing Projekt is probably the best brewery in western Wisconsin aside from the great Dave’s BrewFarm.

Griffin Claw is one of the best Detroit-area breweries; I’m not sure how big of a name they are throughout the Midwest.

Looking at the program, I gotta say: Only eight rookies!? C’mon! .

Actually it’s seven rookies. Tornado Brewing has been at the previous three GTMW festivals as Woodman Brewery. The brewery moved to Horicon, Wisconsin.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 09:18 Tue 8/8/2017

Originally posted by islay

I’m a big Pig Minds fan. Much better than a lot of more heralded breweries from Chicago; perhaps even my favorite brewery in Illinois.

The Brewing Projekt is probably the best brewery in western Wisconsin aside from the great Dave’s BrewFarm.

Griffin Claw is one of the best Detroit-area breweries; I’m not sure how big of a name they are throughout the Midwest.

Looking at the program, I gotta say: Only eight rookies!? C’mon! There are so many breweries springing up; there should be MUCH higher turnover at such a prominent beer festival (25%? 50%?). My goal with the Great Taste is to drink as few beers from breweries I’ve heard of as possible, and that’s hard to do when almost all of them were in last year’s program. The more obscure the better, I say.

Hmm, Pig Minds has been mostly miss for me, between visiting the brewery and at festivals. Just curious what beers of theirs you really dig.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 10:26 Tue 8/8/2017

Funk Factory was a mess two years ago. Beers were released at designated times, so, they would release beer, sell all of it, and then customers would stand around until the next time released when everyone would try to get the next beer, at the same time. The staff actually gave me my money back, and were very nice about it.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 10:27 Tue 8/8/2017

Where is everyone going friday night? We are staying downtown and i hope to be on foot.

deyholla
beers 21661 º places 849 º 11:53 Thu 8/10/2017

TOMORROW!!! TBD on Firday. I know we are hitting New Glarus and Maduro. After that is up in the air. We are debating whether to tempt Funk Factory again. Also, going to try and pace my self better this time on Friday...

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 12:17 Thu 8/10/2017

Originally posted by deyholla
TOMORROW!!! TBD on Firday. I know we are hitting New Glarus and Maduro. After that is up in the air. We are debating whether to tempt Funk Factory again. Also, going to try and pace my self better this time on Friday...

Pacing yourself better means a faster pace, right?

Excited for this.

deyholla
beers 21661 º places 849 º 14:03 Fri 8/11/2017

Double Barrel Expedition is legit!!!

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 17:01 Fri 8/11/2017

Just arrived downtown. Where is everyone going?

jackl
beers 8677 º places 740 º 17:25 Fri 8/11/2017

DeyHolla and I are heading to FF now. Join up!