A tick is a star rating?

Reads 1667 • Replies 9 • Started Thursday, November 2, 2017 4:57:52 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8490 º places 567 º 04:57 Thu 11/2/2017

Ok, I just had to go over some ratings as they were buggy. It seems if you tick a beer 1-5 stars it automatically is some kind of rating. If you then actually write a real rating and it is more or less than the star rating well at one point the Star Rating tick took precedence.

I think that was a bug they are trying to fix but now if I tick a Star but rate above or below, the star ticks disappear...

I am not sure of the purpose of this, more of the Untappd-tifying I've been hearing about?

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 05:13 Thu 11/2/2017

I think it's because ticks are now ratings for stats purposes, so it would be double counting if the tick stayed once you had left a full review

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8490 º places 567 º 20:42 Thu 11/2/2017

Pointless to me, appeal to casual people while alienating core users... no wonder that destroy RB thread got started... I just noticed the other tick = ratings thing.

egajdzis
beers 9966 º places 49 º 20:46 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by KansaiBeerLvrs
I am not sure of the purpose of this, more of the Untappd-tifying I've been hearing about?

Its actually the exact opposite of untappd. Staying true to RB's roots, a rating with words is preferable to a tick.

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 03:37 Fri 11/3/2017

I still can't tell what my ticks are. I'd like to be able to tell, so I can change them to real ratings. If I tick something it's because I accidentally hit the star button. It's never on purpose.

On Edit: It looks like I can see my ticks if I hit Ticks only button. When I hit the ticks button on top nothing happens. Anyway, it appears that all my ticks are beers that were aliased or changed to a new name. Weird.

radagast83
beers 12460 º places 427 º 08:59 Fri 11/3/2017

Originally posted by jtclockwork
I still can't tell what my ticks are. I'd like to be able to tell, so I can change them to real ratings. If I tick something it's because I accidentally hit the star button. It's never on purpose.

On Edit: It looks like I can see my ticks if I hit Ticks only button. When I hit the ticks button on top nothing happens. Anyway, it appears that all my ticks are beers that were aliased or changed to a new name. Weird.
Yeah, the number of Ticks that is inline with Ratings, Places, etc. needs to have the logic wired up so that when you click it, it goes somewhere (probably the same content that the "Ticks only" tabs displays.

Right now my tick # is 5, but I only have two ticks total in the "Ticks only" and "Old ticks" tabs.

radagast83
beers 12460 º places 427 º 09:08 Fri 11/3/2017

I should also mention...

I'm not angry or upset about this since I know they're in the middle of working on all of this and that the dust should be settling soon. Being a web developer myself, it's surprising the site isn't going down more often with all the changes they're making to the back-end.

"Alienating" is a pretty strong word to use. I was initially taken aback when I saw some of the breweries near me have radically different "top raters" and I'm noticing a few other bugs here or there that I'm sure will be ironed out in due time. No sense getting worked up over this.

wchesser
beers 2435 º places 44 º 09:17 Fri 11/3/2017

Originally posted by The_Osprey
I think it's because ticks are now ratings for stats purposes, so it would be double counting if the tick stayed once you had left a full review

If this is the case, RB definitely needs 0.5 star ratings. If I rate a beer 3.0 it isn't very good and likely has some kind of flaw but if I give it 3 stars it could be a perfectly solid beer.

I have started ticking beers more often out of laziness/burnout and saving ratings for 'special' beers or beers without a lot of ratings. No one needs to see my written rating of SNPA.

cgarvieuk
beers 37649 º places 457 º 12:29 Fri 11/3/2017

Originally posted by wchesser
Originally posted by The_Osprey

If this is the case, RB definitely needs 0.5 star ratings. If I rate a beer 3.0 it isn't very good and likely has some kind of flaw but if I give it 3 stars it could be a perfectly solid beer.

I have started ticking beers more often out of laziness/burnout and saving ratings for 'special' beers or beers without a lot of ratings. No one needs to see my written rating of SNPA.

RB has p
0.1 ratings ability on app. but why is a 3.0 out of 5 different from 3 stars out of 5

BeardedAvenger
beers 7338 º places 596 º 12:35 Fri 11/3/2017

It's simple - the powes that be make changes but only.give vague updates . Joe provide an update but users then have to work out what that means. Not convened he knows what real results there'll be. No testing?