Adding an entry in the Czech Republic section in Places

Reads 974 • Replies 4 • Started Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:16:19 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

YULbier
places 252 º 02:16 Tue 10/25/2011

Hi guys,

I noticed that a lot of maps won’t display correctly in Places of Czech Republic. The global guidelines I use myself to correctly add an entry are the following:

-Not use the "special czech letter" (letters with accents) while entering the city name or street name

-When entering the address number you often see an address format like Stefanikova 47/21. Enter only the last number, here 21. The first one is the block/building number, or something like that.

-In postal code, write the number of the city or neighborhood. Example for Brno center it’s "620 00".

-You can use letters with accents in the name of the place, but a name like "Černohorský" while appear like "268ernohorsky" on the global map.

-After entering place, verify that the place appears on the global map. Sometimes, the place looks like its well situated on the "preview map", but don’t appear on the global map.

I know it sucks to change the name of cities and streets, because the pronunciation is really different between a "c" and a "che", but as long as RB doesn’t improve its system, we must follow those rules in order to have the pins appear on the global map, which is very useful when you are planning a trip. :-)))

Comments?

pivnizub
beers 12929 º places 633 º 06:26 Fri 11/11/2011

I’m not sure if the "háčky" (accents) really are responsible for the problems with the global maps. Look, in Prague the adress of the place #1, the divine Žly Časy tavern, is correctly written - ČESTMIROVÁ with háčky - as we all know and correctly shown on the Google map. The adress of the second place, Pivovarsky Klub on Křižiková, is not correctly written, but it is shown on the map also on the right place!?!?!?

gunnar
beers 14335 º places 1096 º 03:30 Fri 11/18/2011

I noticed that Pivovar Berounsky in Beroun is misplaced on the map, even if there is no "special Czech letters" in the adress.
If you copy the adress into Googlemaps, the right location appears, so it have to be something else thats causing problem at least in this case. I will take care when entering new places, so your guidelines will be taken into consideration.

YULbier
places 252 º 01:51 Mon 11/21/2011

Actually, Žly Časy Bar don’t show on the Global Map (where all other places around are shown), only the Žly Časy Pivoteka appears in there.
It is so Divine that I hesitated to modify it’s address ;-)

For Pivovarsky Klub, exactly, the address is written with international letters, and now it appears on the global map (it didn’t before I change it...).

So, bottom line, what is more important, a correctly spelled address or an appearance on the global map?

By the way, I personally think it sucks, and I’m sure my czech language teacher would not be very happy about this either :-)

Originally posted by pivnizub
I’m not sure if the "háčky" (accents) really are responsible for the problems with the global maps. Look, in Prague the adress of the place #1, the divine Žly Časy tavern, is correctly written - ČESTMIROVÁ with háčky - as we all know and correctly shown on the Google map. The adress of the second place, Pivovarsky Klub on Křižiková, is not correctly written, but it is shown on the map also on the right place!?!?!?

YULbier
places 252 º 01:56 Mon 11/21/2011

@gunnar: I noticed too. Those guidelines gives correct results about 95% of the time. It would be better if we could manually enter the GPS coordinates or something. Maybe in the next version of "Places"? Who knows!

Originally posted by gunnar
I noticed that Pivovar Berounsky in Beroun is misplaced on the map, even if there is no "special Czech letters" in the adress.
If you copy the adress into Googlemaps, the right location appears, so it have to be something else thats causing problem at least in this case. I will take care when entering new places, so your guidelines will be taken into consideration.