android app : add text at the same time as, or before putting in numbers

Reads 3827 • Replies 12 • Started Friday, November 3, 2017 1:35:38 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Pinball
beers 14767 º places 112 º 13:35 Fri 11/3/2017

My way of rating is that i write the text as i rate the beer.
With the android app, i have to type in the numbers before i can get access to type in the text.
I would strongly prefer it to be the reverse, or it should at least be possible to write the text at the same time as the numbers.

My rating procedure :

looks at glass.
writes down the apperance score and the description of the appearance
sniffs the aroma
writes down the aroma score and write down the aroma description
take a sip
write down the flavor description and put in the flavor score
write down the palate description and put in the palate socre
another sip
write down overall and overall score

this procedure is impossible with the new app, or i will have to write down the text somewhere else first, as the text entering area only show up after i have put in the overall score and pressed send.

btw. why isn't there a forum for discussing the android app
also, most software projects lets user have access to the bugs and improvements lists.. Do we have them public for ratebeer and the app?

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 13:51 Fri 11/3/2017

yeah me to. but oddly on the other forum site. on the poll i conducted this clearly wasn't the major issue

MonsterMagnet
beers 1955 º places 15 º 15:58 Fri 11/3/2017

It is for me. I went back to the mobile site because of this.

SaintMatty
beers 10530 º places 381 º 16:56 Fri 11/3/2017

I use the old app because of this issue with the new app. When the old app was not working I used the browser to rate as the new app is still lacking in several areas for my liking.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 17:07 Fri 11/3/2017

What's the attraction of having an offline rating feature?
Don't the places you go to have WiFi? Don't you ask them for the password if they do?

MarcoDL
beers 9603 º places 213 º 17:23 Fri 11/3/2017

I agree wholeheartedly. I want to think about the beer before I assign scores. Really annoying that the app works the other Way around.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 17:31 Fri 11/3/2017

I guess I am the only one who forms an opinion on what the final score should be, around and aboot, but I agree with you all.

SinH4
beers 15467 º places 416 º 19:22 Fri 11/3/2017

I can't make myself use the new app, although I really want to, before this is implemented. I write my reviews category by category, just like OP described it.

Lubiere
beers 22801 º places 1170 º 11:36 Sun 11/5/2017

Originally posted by Bill Becker
Don't the places you go to have WiFi? Don't you ask them for the password if they do?

Especially useful if : 1) No Wifi and you are in a foreign country (assuming you do not want to buy a new SIM card and want to avoid exorbitant roaming fees)...may not be an issue if your a Merican who does not travel much...but for us non-Mericans...
2) beer is not in database...especially at beer festivals, do you really want to enter a beer in the browser version?

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 11:48 Sun 11/5/2017

Originally posted by Lubiere
Originally posted by Bill Becker

Especially useful if : 1) No Wifi and you are in a foreign country (assuming you do not want to buy a new SIM card and want to avoid exorbitant roaming fees)...may not be an issue if your a Merican who does not travel much...but for us non-Mericans...
2) beer is not in database..*.especially at beer festivals, do you really want to enter a beer in the browser version?*

Done that numerous times. Simple.

ratebeerian
beers 3 º places 1 º 09:31 Wed 11/8/2017

Thanks everyone for the feedback, this is incredibly useful! Taking a look now at how we can fix the flow. In the Beerbuddy iOS app you were able to flip back and forth from the score to the comments. If we made the "expert rating panel" a button that takes you to a new screen, we can do something similar. Would something like that work? Any other ideas?