Beer Corrections

Reads 5269 • Replies 41 • Started Monday, October 23, 2017 6:32:54 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:21 Sat 10/28/2017

Originally posted by LazyPyro
Yeah that phone thing is annoying. When adding a place there is no validation done on phone numbers so any country will work, but when adding a brewery it checks for US format which usually means dropping the first 0 from UK numbers otherwise it will error as you describe and mess up the county selection.

Best practice (in my view) is to ignore the area code field and put the full number in the second field. As you've observed, you can't put the correct number in the area code field and it doesn't hold enough digits anyway. And it seems that if you do try to input the correct number - as most people will - it messes up other things.

The two fields were merged (at my prompting) for Places long ago. At the time it was confirmed that the separate area code field was not used for anything functional. I don't know why the same wasn't done for brewers. It may be that it was originally intended to use the area code field for something or other but it was never implemented. Nowadays, so many telephone numbers (in the UK) do not have traditional BT landline area-based codes anyway that it's hard to see what purpose it could serve at this point in time. Anything the field was used for would inevitably be US-centric and would no doubt mess things up elsewhere.