Blaugies / Hill Farmstead La Vermontoise

Reads 1815 • Replies 13 • Started Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:42:31 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

tderoeck
beers 14777 º places 247 º 16:27 Tue 10/3/2017

Easy peasy, I write down date when I drank it and the BB-date.
20/IV/13 - 75cl bottle from De Hopduvel (Gent) @ Erwin’s post aquarium BBQ - BBE: 2016 - (2013-341)

Also, since the first entry dates from februari 2013, it is safe to assume we all had the same first batch. Meaning they put on 3 years (unless they bottled late 2012, then they put on 4 years).

I visited the brewery and then learned why the first batch was so much better. For the first batch they used the amount of hops, as proposed by Sean Hill. in later batches they started using way less hops, as the brewer is not such a fan of (US) hops. Too bad, cause I remember loving that first batch very much, and indeed the disappointment with the later batches.

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 03:57 Wed 10/4/2017

Originally posted by tderoeck
Easy peasy, I write down date when I drank it and the BB-date.
20/IV/13 - 75cl bottle from De Hopduvel (Gent) @ Erwin’s post aquarium BBQ - BBE: 2016 - (2013-341)

Also, since the first entry dates from februari 2013, it is safe to assume we all had the same first batch. Meaning they put on 3 years (unless they bottled late 2012, then they put on 4 years).

I visited the brewery and then learned why the first batch was so much better. For the first batch they used the amount of hops, as proposed by Sean Hill. in later batches they started using way less hops, as the brewer is not such a fan of (US) hops. Too bad, cause I remember loving that first batch very much, and indeed the disappointment with the later batches.

That explains a lot.
Was my favourite beer at ZBF, then it became all dandelion rubber hops afterwards.

A telling, semi-uplifting story of how Wallonian saison brewers fail to be OMG-impressed by US hops when tweaking traditional recipes, though. Probably for the best, when all the world was making US-hopped saisons a while ago.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 15:34 Wed 10/4/2017

Ha, I like the later batches better! But I'd still rather have a Saison d'Epeautre, so there you go.