Bottle shops.

Reads 1684 • Replies 12 • Started Monday, August 14, 2017 2:48:39 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cgarvieuk
beers 37687 º places 457 º 02:48 Mon 8/14/2017

Ok im staying at Skillman Avenue Queens, and see 2 local Bottle shops.
https://www.ratebeer.com/Place/state/city/placename/29016.htm

Reviews seem to say bar , but category is bottle shop.

and
https://www.ratebeer.com/Place/state/city/placename/27886.htm

nothing since 2015

anyone got upto date info on these places

Or Recomendations(if needed) for out of way bottles shop where i may find something a little more special.

Im over in Mid October.

cgarvieuk
beers 37687 º places 457 º 08:49 Tue 8/15/2017

Also anyone been to https://www.ratebeer.com/Place/state/city/placename/845.htm recently as last review was 2015

Jow
beers 7363 º places 487 º 09:55 Tue 8/15/2017

Yes I occasionally go to Sakagura. Its amazing sake list (albeit a touch pricey) probably best on east coast I would have to imagine. Food is really good too. Its tricky to find as its in a basement in a building but it is like being in Japan once inside. They don’t have wifi or cell service (at least on my phone) when down there so best to look at sake menu online and figure out your plan of attack prior to going.

Haven’t been to bottle shops you’ve listed since don’t make it to Queens or Brooklyn all that often. Your staying not too far from LIC Beer Project which is a good brewery. Also not that far from Queens Kickshaw which is good cider bar.

cgarvieuk
beers 37687 º places 457 º 10:02 Tue 8/15/2017

Yeah sake seems pricier than expected. But a damn impressive list. I enailed them to check online list is up to date to research in advance..
And thanks on its hidden entrance. Good to know in advance.

Plan to hit as many places as Time and kid access allows.

jredmond
beers 10321 º places 301 º 12:58 Wed 8/16/2017

I’ve never been to Beer Boutique, but Beer Street is a great bar (I dont believe they sell bottles to go). If you end up going to Queens Kickshaw, as Jow as suggested, there’s a bottle/cheese shop Astoria Beer & Cheese right across the street. Def a solid selection there.

If you’re looking for good draft lists, be sure to download the beermenus app on your phone as all the legit beer bars will tend to update this daily.

Thinking about beer spots generally in that area:

LIC/Queens (listed in order moving South to North)

Alewife Queens - large draft list that’s usually pretty solid
John Brown Smokehouse - only worth going if you’re looking for some decent BBQ and Hill Farmstead Edward (assuming beermenus confirms) - they usually keep a keg of Hill on at all times.
LIC Beer Project - making great stuff, any fresh IPAs on draft will be top notch; sometimes have 4-pk cans to go.
Sunswick - nearby bar from LICBP; never been myself but draft list on beermenus looks decent - mostly american ticks
Astoria Bier & Cheese - bottle shop with handful of drafts and great cheese (Jasper Hills)
Queens Kickshaw - bar/restaurant - never had the food, but good beer menu usually with some interesting cider selections.
Singlecut Brewery - great IPAs and session ales on draft. 5oz tasters of everything for $2-3/pour.

Brooklyn (Greenpoint area starting from North headed South)
Brouwerij Lane - great little bottle shop with ~10 drafts
Greenpoint Brewer (formerly Dirck the Norseman) - samples of everything available. They started canning late last year but not sure they sell cans to go. You can find them at most beer delis although I havent had any great ones yet.
Peter Pan Donut - not beer related but nearby and I hear the place is good - and maybe good if you’re traveling with a kid
Krolewskie Jadlo - sick Polish food (large Polish community in Greenpoint) and nearby Torst.
Torst - assuming you know the drill
Keg & Lantern - small bar that "brews" their own "beer." I’ve pretty much disliked everything I’ve tried by them, and I can’t remember if they serve anything in smaller than a pint - but I recognize tickers gonna tick.
Turkeys Nest - one of the greatest dive bars. Known for their frozen margaritas they serve in to-go styrofoam cups (probably not suitable for kids)

Unassuming spots to by bottles to go in Manhattan:
Bread & Honey (near Central Park)
Clinton Gourmet Deli (46th and 10th) - right near my place and happy to meet up.

Obviously have tons more recommendations based on neighborhood in Brookyn/Manhattan and would be more than happy to meet up for a beer if time permits. Feel free to shoot me a BM for any additional info. Have fun!

James

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 21:12 Wed 8/16/2017

Definitely use beermenus.com. Most places update fairly regularly and you can search for places near where you’re staying.

Jow
beers 7363 º places 487 º 08:27 Thu 8/17/2017

Also there is another new brewery (ICONYC) that’s near where your staying that none of us have made it out to yet.

https://www.ratebeer.com/p/iconyc-brewing-company/71032/

I’ve had a couple of their brews which were decent and the picture i saw of taproom looks nice.

cgarvieuk
beers 37687 º places 457 º 05:37 Fri 8/18/2017

Great Guys. this is Superb info. One thing i should have said. is got Kids with me. so that may limit me from a few places. But the 2-3 places ive checked are actually looking ok.

Didnt even know about BeerMenus. So ive installed that, and having a play. Thats pretty cool.

i will raise correction for Beer Street to get changed to a bar, rather than bottle shop. cheers

cgarvieuk
beers 37687 º places 457 º 06:02 Fri 8/18/2017

oh and James did you mean anything other than its a great place by
"Torst - assuming you know the drill "

jredmond
beers 10321 º places 301 º 12:35 Sun 8/20/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
oh and James did you mean anything other than its a great place by
"Torst - assuming you know the drill "
- hah nope, just a great place.

cgarvieuk
beers 37687 º places 457 º 00:35 Mon 8/21/2017