Canadian reactions to RateBeer Investment?

Reads 823 • Replies 9 • Started Monday, June 5, 2017 10:58:10 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

northropfrye
beers 4425 º places 327 º 22:58 Mon 6/5/2017

Has anyone heard anything from any Canadian brewers on this whole ABI-RateBeer thing? Personal thoughts? You are the people I mostly interact with and trade with, so I’d love to hear thoughts on this. I’m really struggling as to what to do.

Crit
beers 5022 º places 159 º 23:24 Mon 6/5/2017

Watch and wait to see what transpires

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 23:36 Mon 6/5/2017

Originally posted by Crit

+1

jercraigs
beers 14908 º places 1052 º 19:26 Tue 6/6/2017

Several Ontario raters I have spoken to are done with Ratebeer as a result. I know at least one brewery is taking steps to distance themselves from Ratebeer in future.

For me the utility in Ratebeer is the scores, my stats, and being able to see my friends ratings. If the friends aren’t here anymore that significantly reduces the utility of the site.

We shall see.

Crit
beers 5022 º places 159 º 13:45 Wed 6/7/2017

Just as a point of curiosity, can one actually CLOSE, their rate beer account, and have all ratings removed ?

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 14:25 Wed 6/7/2017

Just as a point of curiosity, can one actually CLOSE, their rate beer account, and have all ratings removed ?

I think you actually have to manually delete each rating. Tedious, but possible.

fiulijn
beers 28379 º places 745 º 15:30 Wed 6/7/2017

What he said.
But I can’t see the point of doing it.

Quevillon
beers 3376 º places 396 º 21:25 Wed 6/7/2017

Not a word from Quebec brewers that I know!

gramity
beers 1829 º places 41 º 15:09 Mon 6/19/2017

Originally posted by DuffMan

+1

+1

It could all be fine but I am quite concerned. I’ll continue on like nothing has changed (for my fairly limited use of the site) but I am of the opinion that the risk of RateBeer suddenly going away or being significantly changed for the worse (from my perspective) has increased dramatically. I’ll be sure I’m backing up my ratings periodically.

There is a possibility of real positive impacts as well. I think we are all just prone to think the worst given who the business partner is.

For example, I have no idea what kind of contingency plans were in place previously should joet suddenly vanish. Would anyone have been able to access it / run it? Will that now change with other owners?

I won’t type out any other random thoughts I have but I think there are a limitless number of potential impacts of this and the only thing any of us mere "users" can do is wait and see.

Oakes
admin
beers 30719 º places 1135 º 20:46 Mon 6/19/2017

I’m curious to see. The reactions, as far as I can tell, have been strongest in regions where ABI has the most toxic history (USA, Brazil).

Labatt does stuff like pay-to-play of course, but so does every big brewery here. And the micros are still eating their lunch. The ABI brand isn’t great here or anything, but I don’t think it’s poison like in the US. Then again, there’s also a lot of brewers who don’t like RB, because they make mediocre beer and don’t want people to hear about that.In the US, brewers are often much more positive about RB.

So my guess is that the reaction isn’t nearly as strong as in the US, simply because the shift from meh to grumble isn’t as big as the shift from love to hate.