Covering the Celtic fringe

Reads 4108 • Replies 31 • Started Tuesday, October 31, 2017 1:47:55 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

minutemat
beers 14713 º places 551 º 07:06 Thu 11/2/2017

Would like it if France was split. A LOT of different regions to get stuck into there, some more difficult than others. Wales would surely be split into 3, which I'm not sure is necessary but can't see any harm in it either.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 07:25 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by minutemat
Wales would surely be split into 3

That would presumably be on the basis of language - South Wales (English), Out of the way bits plus the BBC building in Cardiff (Welsh), North Wales coast (Scouse)?

Scopey
beers 24257 º places 728 º 08:30 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by Scopey
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
mind you splitting Scotland will drive up the desirability of Scottish beer as everyone needs those extra areas.
ISO: Caithness FT: West Lothian

We'd be using the pre-1975 counties then? Nowadays, West Lothian exists only as a question.
West Lothian is more of a state of mind

minutemat
beers 14713 º places 551 º 10:33 Thu 11/2/2017

That would presumably be on the basis of language - South Wales (English), Out of the way bits plus the BBC building in Cardiff (Welsh), North Wales coast (Scouse)?

I actually meant the main counties, although I've just realised there is 8 in total:

Gwent
South Glamorgan
Mid Glamorgan
West Glamorgan
Dyfed
Powys
Gwynedd
Clwyd

I thought Anglesey was it's own county now, but I think it's still part of Gwynedd

harrisoni
beers 25414 º places 68 º 12:05 Thu 11/2/2017

Gwynedd

I'm sure I once went out with a girl from Rhyl called Gwynedd

Or was it Gwyneth??

I can't remember.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 12:15 Thu 11/2/2017

I actually meant the main counties, although I've just realised there is 8 in total:

Gwent
South Glamorgan
Mid Glamorgan
West Glamorgan
Dyfed
Powys
Gwynedd
Clwyd

I thought Anglesey was it's own county now, but I think it's still part of Gwynedd

I was, of course, being frivolous but the underlying issue of which divisions to use and how we know where the boundaries lie exists. For example. since 1996, Gwynedd (including Anglesey/Ynys Mon) has existed only as a "preserved county" - essentially equivalent to a "ceremonial county" in England - purely for lieutenancy purposes. Whether the areas covered by the Queen's representatives - responsible for wearing fancy uniforms at ceremonial bashes, cutting ribbons and that sort of thing - is a suitable basis for splitting things up is debatable. On a practical note, which boundaries are marked on current maps is perhaps more relevant - I have no idea what the answer to that is. For instance, I read on Wikipedia that the current boundaries of Gwynedd as a "preserved county" are not the same as those in force prior to 1996 when it was an administrative unit. The postcode doesn't help us because counties have not been part of the official address for a number of years. Currently Wales is administratively divided into 22 "principal areas", which is far too many for RateBeer splitting purposes.

Another thing to bear in mind is that whatever divisions were chosen would be populating what started out as the US State field on RateBeer. That is used for various purposes around the site, notably mapping brewers and places. Anything "non-standard" is likely to cause issues. Google maps, or at least the iteration of it used for linked maps on RateBeer, seems to be easily confused & confounded by unexpected terms in an address, as evidenced by the high incidence of inaccurate mapping or complete fails - just see how many places are invariably supposedly located in the Atlantic Ocean (at co-ordinates 0.0) . Knowing RateBeer, there are probably other things around the site that could get unexpectedly kiboshed in an unpredictable manner. Speaking from a position of complete ignorance, that's probably why splitting more countries is by no means straightforward and requires significant programming input. I doubt splitting up Wales (or Scotland) is high on Joe's list of candidates for scarce programming resources.

theprof
beers 4355 º places 42 º 14:11 Thu 11/2/2017

Chriso shows what a minefield it is in programming terms. Maps have rarely captured reality. I just feel that dividing England and not others is odd and smacks of preferential treatment. Heaven forbid

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 14:28 Thu 11/2/2017

Yes, minutemat's post shows the old counties. I used to live in West Glamorgan until it was abolished when I was 9

That would be good enough for me though - the new counties are generally too focused around particular towns to make them interesting for RateBeer purposes and the old ones always seemed more logical and neat to me - note that they still exist as 'preserved counties'

harrisoni
beers 25414 º places 68 º 14:30 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by The_Osprey
I used to live in West Glamorgan until it was abolished when I was 9

Genuinely, what did that feel like? To be told that you don't live where you did yesterday?

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 14:37 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by The_Osprey
Yes, minutemat's post shows the old counties. I used to live in West Glamorgan until it was abolished when I was 9

That would be good enough for me though - the new counties are generally too focused around particular towns to make them interesting for RateBeer purposes and the old ones always seemed more logical and neat to me - note that they still exist as 'preserved counties'

Yes, a lot of those current areas are clustered around Cardiff, Swansea & the Valleys. But, if we were to use some other divisions we'd still need to have clear and easily identified boundaries. And be satisfied that we weren't including something in the address - invented, obsolete or whatever - that would fuck something up in one way or another.