Florida has a new Top 10 rater

Reads 524 • Replies 8 • Started Wednesday, October 11, 2017 8:10:26 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Jow
beers 7392 º places 495 º 08:10 Wed 10/11/2017

Hello it's me I just moved here from NYC and took my 4K ratings with me putting me at #10 on this list. It looks like this forum doesn't get much use so not sure who'd see this. Anyways I know very little about Florida or its beer scene other than basics. Any important beer festivals, blogs, or apps that let you know whats happening around these parts? I'm in corporate housing now but will probably end up in Winter Garden area. Anyways I look forward to exploring Florida beer scene

Few nice surprises thus far:
Crooked Can Bewing visited twice already and enjoy
Central 28 Trekker Bier
Red Cypress The Shape of Lager to Come
M.I.A. Megamix

Also other than Terrapin is there any Georgia or Alabama breweries that distribute to Orlando area?

cgarvieuk
beers 37694 º places 457 º 08:23 Wed 10/11/2017

He only moved as he wanted to avoid meeting me in NYC. The length people goto.

Jow
beers 7392 º places 495 º 08:45 Wed 10/11/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
He only moved as he wanted to avoid meeting me in NYC. The length people goto.

Ha I am actually sad about that, Ive been wanting to visit ICONYC since they opened and am always down for Sake but alas. My new job may take me to UK (Belfast) occasionally so maybe i'll be able to skip back to Edinburgh with some stouts for you as an add on at some point.

smith4498
beers 4285 º places 20 º 10:59 Wed 10/11/2017

Dammit, now I'm #12 in the state

Welcome to Flori-duh!

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 11:19 Wed 10/11/2017

If you're ever on I-75 heading north or south, hit me up! I'm in Valdosta, GA and a lot of people drive right by me without even realizing it!

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 11:21 Wed 10/11/2017

Originally posted by Jow
Also other than Terrapin is there any Georgia or Alabama breweries that distribute to Orlando area?

You should certainly get Sweetwater as well, but maybe only their core and seasonals. Good stores might get their more limited release bombers and such. Georgia laws just finally changed on September 1st to make breweries' lives a lot easier, so our state will probably explode in the future, but right now there aren't many breweries large enough to do much distro besides Terrapin and Sweetwater... maybe Red Brick and Red Hare, but they aren't really anything special. I know Burnt Hickory has some Florida distro, and they're great, but I think it's mostly in the panhandle.

Otherwise, people in Florida go gaga over Cigar City and Wakefield stuff. Personally I'm a HUGE fan of Aardwolf in Jacksonville.

Jow
beers 7392 º places 495 º 11:33 Wed 10/11/2017

Originally posted by drowland
If you're ever on I-75 heading north or south, hit me up! I'm in Valdosta, GA and a lot of people drive right by me without even realizing it!

Will do I just drove down with family (wife, child, dog) to move here so not a beer road trip but stopped at

Troeg's in Hersey, PA
Natty Green's in Greensboro, NC
Legal Remedy Brewing in Rock Hill, SC

spent day in Savannah but no brewery/beer visits

Not sure on next road trip since that was long

Jow
beers 7392 º places 495 º 11:36 Wed 10/11/2017

Originally posted by drowland
Originally posted by Jow

You should certainly get Sweetwater as well, but maybe only their core and seasonals. Good stores might get their more limited release bombers and such. Georgia laws just finally changed on September 1st to make breweries' lives a lot easier, so our state will probably explode in the future, but right now there aren't many breweries large enough to do much distro besides Terrapin and Sweetwater... maybe Red Brick and Red Hare, but they aren't really anything special. I know Burnt Hickory has some Florida distro, and they're great, but I think it's mostly in the panhandle.

Otherwise, people in Florida go gaga over Cigar City and Wakefield stuff. Personally I'm a HUGE fan of Aardwolf in Jacksonville.

Yea I should have mentioned sweetwater I saw that, we get both those in NYC as well as Cigar City and Wakefield so while I'm sure I'll drink all these more excited to explore new stuff.

I've had 1 Alabama beer and 9 Georgia so some work to do on this region of country

Jow
beers 7392 º places 495 º 11:39 Wed 10/11/2017

Originally posted by smith4498
Dammit, now I'm #12 in the state

Welcome to Flori-duh!

Thanks a bunch since your in Orlando vicinity perhaps we'll run into each other at some beer event or another