Friday missive 03 Nov 2017

Reads 594 • Replies 1 • Started Friday, November 3, 2017 5:40:39 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 17:40 Fri 11/3/2017

It's Friday already. Although I wasn't quite ready to give up on bug fixes, it felt good to take a break and go back to the drawing board, get away from the machine, and dig into what the evolution of the web site and app will look like and what features will be developed. It was good as well to work on other goals related to a healthy web site that are unrelated to code, like what our next server migration will look like, what people we need to head up our most important missions, what we need to drop into place for the mobile app and web to talk to each other, how we can improve our service even during downtime, and how we might improve process to improve our development speed.

That all said, we made several updates to the web site this week including:

* Dynamic content on the front door
* Updates to the beer correction page
* Updates to the beer UPC code page
* Beer stats page update
* Updates to the beer tag editor
* Updates to about 60 areas on the site where rate counts are calculated, those were a busy few days

I've also spent a considerable amount of time working on the new brewer page. The new version should be much faster, cause the server much less tension and concern, add some more functionality and otherwise be awesome. All the hard part is done. Now I just need to do the dumb stuff and work out one ugly bug.

On the horizon for next week are emojigeddon issues (accented characters) especially in places, and brewer scores.

Hopefully next week we'll have single sign on issues well tested enough to launch into the new forums, and my next missive will be there. I'm patient. We'll see.

It's been really good to hear people on the dev team talk about how much they really enjoy hearing from users, especially face to face or in phone interviews. We're getting a lot of ideas from talking to people, especially power users about how they rate beer and how they use the site. We'll be continuing our interviews and calls.

Sorry this episode is a bit dry and sleepy. The weather has been distinctly late autumnal here, it's been cloudy and we're expecting snow on the hilltops this weekend. 60F/15.5C porter in colder air is a very nice experience. I wish "warm" beer were more culturally accepted here.

Have a great weekend! SKAL!

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 18:32 Fri 11/3/2017

Originally posted by joet
It's Friday already. Although I wasn't quite ready to give up on bug fixes, it felt good to take a break and go back to the drawing board, get away from the machine, and dig into what the evolution of the web site and app will look like and what features will be developed. It was good as well to work on other goals related to a healthy web site that are unrelated to code, like what our next server migration will look like, what people we need to head up our most important missions, what we need to drop into place for the mobile app and web to talk to each other, how we can improve our service even during downtime, and how we might improve process to improve our development speed.

That all said, we made several updates to the web site this week including:

* Dynamic content on the front door
* Updates to the beer correction page
* Updates to the beer UPC code page
* Beer stats page update
* Updates to the beer tag editor
* Updates to about 60 areas on the site where rate counts are calculated, those were a busy few days

I've also spent a considerable amount of time working on the new brewer page. The new version should be much faster, cause the server much less tension and concern, add some more functionality and otherwise be awesome. All the hard part is done. Now I just need to do the dumb stuff and work out one ugly bug.

On the horizon for next week are emojigeddon issues (accented characters) especially in places, and brewer scores.

Hopefully next week we'll have single sign on issues well tested enough to launch into the new forums, and my next missive will be there. I'm patient. We'll see.

It's been really good to hear people on the dev team talk about how much they really enjoy hearing from users, especially face to face or in phone interviews. We're getting a lot of ideas from talking to people, especially power users about how they rate beer and how they use the site. We'll be continuing our interviews and calls.

Sorry this episode is a bit dry and sleepy. The weather has been distinctly late autumnal here, it's been cloudy and we're expecting snow on the hilltops this weekend. 60F/15.5C porter in colder air is a very nice experience. I wish "warm" beer were more culturally accepted here.

Have a great weekend! SKAL!

Warm beer is the shit!
Have a good one, Joe!