Friday missive 13 Oct 2017

Reads 506 • Replies 2 • Started Friday, October 13, 2017 5:21:06 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 17:21 Fri 10/13/2017

Hello RateBeeria

Another week in the books... and it was a rough one. Early in the week, I got news that RateBeer's former HQ in Santa Rosa was threatened by wildfires. I was shocked and my heart was heavy with so much sad news there with fires affecting friends and their families. I've pitched in personally and had a few talks with friends but I wish I could do more. The fire is still not fully controlled. The breweries have all survived, and Russian River is putting together a fund raiser. You can find out more here: https://www.sonomapride.com/ Here's hoping the fire fighting efforts go well and any future damage is minimal!

Back here in Portland (and New York) we managed to get a few things out there door:

* Embedded congratulations videos post rating code was updated

* Preliminary brewer score assessments were made and a discussion started around them in Admin Policy

* User rate counts were examined and seem to be sorted out

* Many more user accounts fixed after initial mobile bug caused dupe accounts

* Profile was updated to show rate counts for full reviews and what we're calling "personal notes" this week

* Mobile will soon use the same naming convention

* Next week, we'll be rolling together personal notes and ticks and working on related function and display

* A style was developed for list tables. It will be deployed steadily in the next few weeks. You can see how that's going to look here:
https://www.ratebeer.com/Users/TopRatersByStyle.asp

* Mobile updates happened Wednesday and the ability to add/update a profile photo was added along with many small fixes

* Several updates were made to files as a result of review by our network guy, TJ

* Broader support for UTF-8

* Planning for implementation of Incentives next quarter

* User experience work for implementation of Beer Spotting in the mobile app

* Many more fixes to our new Discourse forums currently in closed beta

* Editing of Places and Beers back open to members and authorized agents, respectively

* And much more

Random Thoughts

* Congrats to all the winners at the this year's Great American Beer Festival! Times have changed and it's very interesting to see how the Brewers Association is addressing the challenges that change brings. Some of these issues are relevant to us and we're watching and learning

* Battlefront II looks really cool. They seemed to have learned a lot after launching a long-awaited turd update of a great game

* I found a very curious bug in the styles counter on the profile page. It was giving everyone the style count of 3fourths. ha!

* This week's talk of saison in the forums, has rekindled an interest in them. I know what I'll be tasting this weekend

* Sometimes the feats of RateBeer top users are truly amazing. This is one such jaw-dropping list
https://www.ratebeer.com/Users/TopStatesRep.asp

Have a beautiful and peaceful weekend.

Skål!

blipp
beers 14895 º places 219 º 17:22 Fri 10/13/2017

Hey Joe. Just FYI, it's still October.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 17:28 Fri 10/13/2017

Originally posted by blipp
Hey Joe. Just FYI, it's still October.

Thanks