Fundraisers, beer, food

Reads 1315 • Replies 6 • Started Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:12:47 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Pipper
beers 325 º places 34 º 14:12 Sun 7/12/2009

I’m in the beginning stages of trying my hand again at a beer dinner this fall to benefit Lou Gehrig’s Disease research, a cause I am personally dedicated to and have raised money for several times. This summer marks the 5th anniversary of my father’s death at the hands of this disease so I wanted to do something that I think he’d be interested in this time, which obviously is great beer and great food.

I go to a small liberal arts school whose president has made the case before and recently to lower the drinking age to 18. With this dinner I want to do something I think my dad would love and that would educate college students about beer and drinking well in company (aka not beer bonging). My idea is a raffle that sells tickets as the biggest way to create donation money and then draw at random 10 people who then may bring a friend - so I’d be cooking for 20 (not a problem) and pairing beer with the menu and it would be held on campus.

Ideally I’d like to get the microbreweries nearest me to donate brews or beer geer for the event, which include:

Columbus Brewing Co.
Elevator Brewing Co.
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Buckeye Brewing Co.
Jackie-Os Pub and Brewery
Weasel Boy Brewing Co.
Cellar Rats Brewery
Barleys Brewing Co.

Does anyone have an particular expertise in this area or know of people I should approach at these breweries or in this area? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the non-profit org I donate all proceeds to:
http://www.projectals.org/

Thanks again!
Pipper
http://ahoppypipper.wordpress.com/

502Che
beers 999 º places 47 º 23:35 Sun 7/12/2009

Just call them. Tell them what you typed (expound upon it when they ask), and offer to talk to them face-to-face if need be. Tell them where we are located, and run it by Nuggent. Its such a small group (20 people) that I am sure any brewery would donate a 12 pack for a good cause (especially if you credit them in some newspaper writeup or something along those lines). The Market also carries some really nice beers and would certainly donate a few.

P.S. No brewery is going to openly supply underage drinkers, so be sure to NOT mention that part. How is this raffle going to work? Where will it be held (BM is fine).

P.P.S. if you are speaking to the breweries nearby, you might want to go a bit outside Columbus, considering there are some other great and not-too-far resources: Hoppin Frog, Great Lakes, Rock Bottom, etc.

AZeagle
beers 11 º places 4 º 08:31 Mon 7/13/2009

You may also want to check on state laws. In most states, a brewery or wholesaler can only donate beer if there is some sort of special event license. While they are easy to obtain, they usually can only be obtained by the actual 501(c)3 organization that will benefit from the event. Obviously it would be illegal for you to actually serve anybody under age, as it would be illegal for the university to permit you to do so if you were holding the event on campus. If you are going to attempt this without obtaining any needed license, or otherwise outside the law (underage drinkers), you may want to keep it far under the radar. I am not familiar with your state laws or how aggresive the liquor board is, but any publicity may draw their attention and neither you, nor the breweries that would be involved will want to risk the fine that would come with an unlicensed event serving underage drinkers.

Pipper
beers 325 º places 34 º 10:19 Mon 7/13/2009

Originally posted by AZeagle
You may also want to check on state laws. In most states, a brewery or wholesaler can only donate beer if there is some sort of special event license. While they are easy to obtain, they usually can only be obtained by the actual 501(c)3 organization that will benefit from the event. Obviously it would be illegal for you to actually serve anybody under age, as it would be illegal for the university to permit you to do so if you were holding the event on campus. If you are going to attempt this without obtaining any needed license, or otherwise outside the law (underage drinkers), you may want to keep it far under the radar. I am not familiar with your state laws or how aggresive the liquor board is, but any publicity may draw their attention and neither you, nor the breweries that would be involved will want to risk the fine that would come with an unlicensed event serving underage drinkers.

Thanks for the help! I should clarify that no one underage would be drinking, I just thought it would be a good example of responsible drinking on campus that made aid the debate.

Pipper
beers 325 º places 34 º 15:21 Fri 8/21/2009

A HUGE THANK YOU to Corey at Rozi’s, Buckeye Brewing Co., Thirsty Dog and Hoppin’ Frog for their over-the-top generosity!!! I can’t express my appreciation enough. Ohio at its best.

BeerVirgin72
beers 880 º places 97 º 18:40 Sat 8/22/2009

It was nice to meet you at Hoppin Frog!

We would be interested in attending your dinner so let us know the details when you get them...

I lost my father too six years ago...Just did the Heart Walk today in his honor...

Pipper
beers 325 º places 34 º 16:50 Tue 9/22/2009

Originally posted by BeerVirgin72
It was nice to meet you at Hoppin Frog!

We would be interested in attending your dinner so let us know the details when you get them...

I lost my father too six years ago...Just did the Heart Walk today in his honor...

It was great to meet you too! I’m glad you’re interested in the event too, I just posted the details in them metro forum but will repost here for others interested who are in the area:

WHAT: The event is a dinner prepared by me using local foods, paired with
Ohio microbrewery beers: Thirsty Dog, Hoppin’ Frog and Buckeye
Brewing Co. will be featured at the dinner for your enjoyment.

WHY: For the benefit of Lou Gehrig’s Disease (or ALS) research. This is a cause I’ve supported for 5 years since the disease claimed my
father. In memory of the 5th anniversary of his death, I thought he’d
especially appreciate an event featuring our two favorite
things, beer and food. Funds raised will go directly to Project ALS
( http://projectals.org) in the hopes that continued, proactive research
will find a cure for this terminal, neuromuscular degenerative disease.

HOW: The event features a 5 course meal paired with samples of 9 different beers. Admission is $35. Have to be 21 to participate. Email me your information and you will be randomly selected by an objective outsider. Only 10 people can win the dinner, but there will also be a raffle where you can win prizes like a Pumpkin Beer gift basket donated by Rozi’s Wine and Liquor House, custom made cake from local baker extraordinaire Liz Keeney, gift certificates to the Village Deli and Middle Ground, beer steins and a Kenyon blanket from the College Bookstore.

WHEN&WHERE: Oct. 25th at 6pm, Weaver Cottage, Kenyon College, Gambier, OH.

MENU:
Fettunta
Grilled hot italian sausage with lemon and cilantro
Stuffed pumpkin blossoms with local chevre and ricotta
Osso bucco
Local cheese plate with Beckwith Orchard apples and cider with mini BORIS pancakes and honey
*sorbet palate cleanser in between courses of Thirsty Dog’s Raspberry Ale

BEER:
Buckeye Brewing 76 IPA, Zatek, Old Mammoth Stout
Hoppin’ Frog Wee Heavy Scotch Red Ale, BORIS Oatmeal Imp. Stout
Thirsty Dog Lunar Lager, Old Leg Humper, Raspberry Ale, Labrador Lager

If you’re interested either reply here or BM me! Cheers and thanks to Buckeye, Hoppin’ Frog and Thirsty Dog for their seriously generous donations!

Best,
Pipper