Grim grimbergens

Reads 1397 • Replies 8 • Started Thursday, December 29, 2016 3:00:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FatPhil
beers 26064 º places 995 º 15:00 Thu 12/29/2016

Grimbergen Ambree, a dubbel at 6.5%
Grimbergen Cuvee Ambree, a dubbel at 6.5%

Yeah, right.

I’m currently "ticking" a beer I have already had twice, but am prepared to lose that tick for the sake of database correctness.

tderoeck
beers 14777 º places 247 º 14:08 Fri 12/30/2016

Ugh, this is the trouble with Grimbergen. The brand is owned by two different breweries according to the market (NL and BE is brewed in BE, FR and other markets are brewed in France). I’m not sure if they should be split up, as the two are obviously going different ways. Grimbergen by Carlsberg has given us atrocities like the Rouge and Poire (Red Fruits and Pear), while Grimbergen Belgium (by Heineken) seems to be a little more respective towards Belgian brewing traditions. Also hard to keep track as beers are not always entered under the correct brewery, and I can only keep track of the Belgian beer scene...

What’s other peoples thoughts on this?

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 14:24 Fri 12/30/2016

If they were from the same brewer, they should be merged.

Maakun
beers 10309 º places 319 º 05:10 Sat 12/31/2016

They’re basically different breweries at this point, that’s true. But not everything is entered according to that, like this one: https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/grimbergen-blonde/3948/ I think that’s actually also brewed by both breweries? It’s a bit of a mess now, and it’s hard to decide what’s an alias and what not. I’d say either alias everything that’s basically the same, or split up everuthing by brewery. Now it’s a bit of both and that’s confusing.

RW80
beers 3114 º places 33 º 07:36 Sat 12/31/2016

Grimbergen is really a mess. Take Benelux alone while owned by Heineken Dutch distribution rights is done by Grolsch.

FatPhil
beers 26064 º places 995 º 15:59 Sun 1/1/2017

Man, that sounds like a bit of a trainwreck. For the big guys, the brand companies, the brewery isn’t necessarily the most important thing, as so much is BUL.

tderoeck
beers 14777 º places 247 º 03:05 Mon 1/9/2017

If it were up to me, I’d say alias everything to Alken-Maes, as this was the first and original brewery. But then again, the shitty ones (like pear) are only made in France...

Maybe alias the obvious ones from France to the Belgian original entries?

Lowenbrau
beers 5867 º places 432 º 17:39 Mon 1/9/2017

In some mayor african breweries, regarding the same beer (most of the cases the only one they produce) we find different entries for several countries. Should apply the same rule.

tderoeck
beers 14777 º places 247 º 03:55 Mon 1/16/2017

Originally posted by Lowenbrau
In some mayor african breweries, regarding the same beer (most of the cases the only one they produce) we find different entries for several countries. Should apply the same rule.

Then what about the Asian ones where they often are aliased to one and the same beer? Same goes for Skol btw (although I’m not sure about production location being different or not), and there’s definitely some African Guinness that’s being aliased, despite being brewed on location.

So basically: there’s not one rule which is upheld throughout the entire database. It’s more a matter of case by case, I suppose.