Gypsy Brewing Company

Reads 519 • Replies 1 • Started Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:40:51 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jsquire
beers 6984 º places 321 º 18:40 Wed 6/1/2016

Ratebeer seems to be lumping Gypsy in with Platform, which seems right given the unity of ownership, but it raises a few issues:

1. The Platform cans for the Cherimoya Project beers all acknowledge that they were brewed at the Gypsy Brewing Company. Can a brewer contract brew its own beer?

2. New Albion (and I think Ferndock at this point) are brewing at Gypsy, but we have the New Albion beer listed as contract brewed at Platform.

3. Do we have a mechanism to list a brewery that as a business model does not brew any beers under its own label?

4. As Gypsy incubates more brewers, will we just keep listing them under Platform?

I honestly don’t know the answers to these questions, and maybe the admins have already discussed it, but my OCD wants to categorize things, and Gypsy is messing with my order.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

Brigadier
beers 4930 º places 334 º 23:04 Sat 6/25/2016

That’s a good question. I know that Real Soon Now (aka it was their first project and that was yeasr ago) Ferndock was supposed to be brewing in Sandusky. Platform definitely brewed a few things under their own brand and you certainly see cans with the Platform label on them. I’ll have to take a closer look the next time I get out.

I would argue however that if they are two separate business entities that a brewer could actually contract brew their own recipes. I don’t see why you couldn’t have a brewery that had its own beers such as Speed Merchant and then a number of contract beers. Cold Springs would be a great example ( http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/cold-spring-brewery/1306/). Though in their case they are brewing for 21st Amendment and other known brands it seems very similar.