Hello from a 300 Beers To Try Before You Dier

Reads 4576 • Replies 29 • Started Monday, June 13, 2016 3:23:29 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Crit
beers 5018 º places 159 º 20:45 Wed 6/15/2016

Originally posted by blipp
Welcome! We’re all amateurs here, so don’t worry about your reviews, as long as you’re giving an honest opinion it’s good enough for us!

Actually we aren’t "ALL" amateurs here.. there are several Judges and cicerones etc.... hardly amateurs

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:55 Thu 6/16/2016

Originally posted by Crit
Originally posted by blipp
Welcome! We’re all amateurs here, so don’t worry about your reviews, as long as you’re giving an honest opinion it’s good enough for us!

Actually we aren’t "ALL" amateurs here.. there are several Judges and cicerones etc.... hardly amateurs

People often forget the real meaning of the word “amateur”. It originally simply meant "lover of". In most fields there were very limited opportunities for making a living from such pursuits. When "professional" opportunities began to arise that simply meant getting paid. The concept of professional = highly skilled whereas amateur = not very good is relatively recent, and that of professional = having formal training and/or qualifications is even more recent. Even today, it’s quite possible in many fields for amateurs (in the original/true sense) to be just as skilled as professionals but to opt to make their living from other (often better remunerated) activities.

Travlr
beers 33915 º places 4598 º 07:26 Thu 6/16/2016

^^^ I’m a fan, as in fanatic.

BeardedAvenger
beers 7337 º places 596 º 03:32 Fri 6/17/2016

Originally posted by sanmiglight23
?????????ohu777?com?????????
?????????ohu777?com????????????????
?????????ohu777?com????????????????

Korean Beer. :D

Should have got a South Korean tick last night as I’d booked a meal in a Korean restaurant, but was outvoted and had to settle for a curry. Not sure Hite Lager would be any good - probably no worse than the Bangla I had though.

AirForceHops
beers 15057 º places 225 º 15:40 Fri 6/17/2016

Originally posted by Travlr
^^^ I’m a fan, as in fanatic.

Yes, this ^^^

bytemesis
beers 15344 º places 1600 º 16:08 Fri 6/17/2016

I just have OCD. Beer itself is irrelevant.

poisoneddwarf
beers 5631 º places 26 º 02:32 Sun 6/19/2016

Originally posted by CH-303
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
I was working through that book as well. But some had gone out of production before i had my hands on it, others almost impossible to track down.

Then this site opened my eyes to a much wider beer world and i aint looked back.
Must track down my copy and see what my count against it is now thought :-D

We should really do a tag for it, like someone did for MJ’s 500 book, the 1001 book and the 100 book :-).

I remember those Michael Jackson books with fuzzy but total halcyon recall. Actually, they’re still there on the bookshelf right now as a matter of fact. Before Ratebeer, they brought me into the world of keeping track and analyzing all the beers I’d been trying . I wanted to try all those beers in Pocket Guide and the top 500 one! So I totally know where the OP is coming from. Welcome!

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:52 Sun 6/19/2016

Originally posted by CH-303
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
I was working through that book as well. But some had gone out of production before i had my hands on it, others almost impossible to track down.

Then this site opened my eyes to a much wider beer world and i aint looked back.
Must track down my copy and see what my count against it is now thought :-D

We should really do a tag for it, like someone did for MJ’s 500 book, the 1001 book and the 100 book :-).

What’s the latest edition and has it been updated much since the original? My copy is from 2005 and, just having a skim through it, the selections are looking very dated now. I remember thinking at the time I got it that the US choices looked a little pedestrian. But perhaps he was mainly concentrating on the rather thin selection that was available in the UK. I don’t think Roger Protz had done an awful lot of beer travelling in the US.

BeardedAvenger
beers 7337 º places 596 º 14:54 Wed 6/29/2016

My copy’s revised and updated from 2010. Must be at least 15 beers that are no longer available. 300 More Beers is from 2013 but not going to tick my way through this one - would rather just choose my own beers:)