Japan trip/NPB playoffs

Reads 527 • Replies 4 • Started Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:14:32 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

lampeno420
beers 320 º places 11 º 20:14 Wed 8/30/2017

Hey Japan crew, I posted a while ago in the travel forum about my wife and I visiting Japan in Oct and you threw out a few ideas for me. I was wondering if you knew anything about Japanese pro baseball. I would love to catch a game and judging by their website im assuming it'll be playoff season over there (i think anyways). If thats the case are these tickets impossible to get ahold of like in the states or not really? We'll be in country from Oct 14-28th, landing in Tokyo for 4 days, Kyoto for 3, Hiroshima for a night, back to Osaka for 3 and Tokyo for 2. If you have any other tips/ideas/must do im all ears as well. I can give more specifics if needed.
Thank you for any input at all, Cheers!

left_bank
beers 106 º places 107 º 21:50 Wed 8/30/2017

There is so many ways to answer this; your biggest obstacle might be getting someone that can read (and speak) Japanese.
Probably good to double up this post in the Japanese forum.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 08:31 Thu 8/31/2017

You should look into tickets sooner, rather than later. I think playoffs should start around 10th and maybe you can get a game or two in depending on who is playing. I don't think it's as hard here as in the US to get tickets. I am sure some travel forums can fill you in though.

Main issue with your itinerary is you miss fall colors because you aren't going into the mountains. I would guess Takayama/Shirakawago would be good at that time. Do a search for fall color forecast and you can find a few places - though don't go to Nikko on a Fall weekend, whatever you do. You'll regret that decision (even weekdays when colors are peaking are insanely busy)

Unless you just want to eat and drink Osaka isn't that interesting. Better to spend all those days in Kyoto or at least one night in Nara. Kyoto will rock your world.

If you are going to spend six days in Tokyo make sure you are getting out of town for day trips, otherwise that's too much

Either going down to Kyoto or coming back to Tokyo, id hit Takayama then hit Kamikochi (should be at peak colors) before going back through Matsumoto.

Tim

lampeno420
beers 320 º places 11 º 08:46 Thu 8/31/2017

Originally posted by TimE
You should look into tickets sooner, rather than later. I think playoffs should start around 10th and maybe you can get a game or two in depending on who is playing. I don't think it's as hard here as in the US to get tickets. I am sure some travel forums can fill you in though.

Main issue with your itinerary is you miss fall colors because you aren't going into the mountains. I would guess Takayama/Shirakawago would be good at that time. Do a search for fall color forecast and you can find a few places - though don't go to Nikko on a Fall weekend, whatever you do. You'll regret that decision (even weekdays when colors are peaking are insanely busy)

Unless you just want to eat and drink Osaka isn't that interesting. Better to spend all those days in Kyoto or at least one night in Nara. Kyoto will rock your world.

If you are going to spend six days in Tokyo make sure you are getting out of town for day trips, otherwise that's too much

Either going down to Kyoto or coming back to Tokyo, id hit Takayama then hit Kamikochi (should be at peak colors) before going back through Matsumoto.

Tim

Awesome, thanks TimE. I'm planning on doing a day trip out of Osaka to Nara, and probably an evening towards Kobe as well for dinner just kind of using Osaka as my base for those few days. And can always shoot back up to Kyoto too if we end up needing another day there (probably)
I'll scour some sites for the playoff tickets, japanball.com doesn't have a mention of it yet but I'm guessing no one really does since it's still regular season. I'm just hoping we'll be somewhere near where a game is being played. We're doing the JR pass i was kind of assuming we could get out of Tokyo for an afternoon/day trip into the mountains as well if the mood strikes. My wife isn't really into that so much so some of our plan is as we go and just soak it all in.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 20:50 Thu 8/31/2017

Probably if you want to do day trips to see fall colors AND you have the rail pass then places like Karuizawa are awesome. If you can take a full day, then I would recommend going to Nozawa Onsen - amazing atmosphere, great brewery and should be beautiful scenery (take bullet train to Iiyama station and then 30 min bus to Nozawa Onsen - ask information at Iiyama station about what bus to get on).

I really recommend getting into the country side as you will miss a crucial part of Japan if you don't.

Given that you will be in Tokyo and Osaka, I am sure you will be somewhere that a playoff game is happening. Even Hiroshima could be a possibility, I think they won last year.

Tim