Jredmond in London & Australia 1Q17

Reads 1035 • Replies 9 • Started Sunday, October 16, 2016 7:48:38 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jredmond
beers 10321 º places 301 º 19:48 Sun 10/16/2016

Figured I’d post in here too to cover all grounds:

Hey All,

I’ll be traveling to Australia sometime early next year for work, and will probably stop off in London to meet my UK colleagues and to break up the trip. It’d be awesome to meet up with some London/Aussie RB dudes or maybe even organize a tasting if time permits. I’ll be sure to circle back once I have more visibility on timing and my exact schedule, but right now it looks like sometime in February 2017. Cheers all.

Best,
James

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 20:58 Sun 10/16/2016

You should hit up one of the Craft Beer pubs that tom (magicdave) helps manage.

But please wear protection of you meet up with some of the London Crew.

Leighton
beers 33727 º places 1204 º 02:28 Mon 10/17/2016

The London delegation would be more than happy to tee up a tasting conference during your visit.

jredmond
beers 10321 º places 301 º 07:54 Mon 10/17/2016

Originally posted by Leighton
The London delegation would be more than happy to tee up a tasting conference during your visit.

Awesome!

WingmanWillis
admin
beers 1563 º places 1908 º 09:56 Mon 10/17/2016

Whereabout is Australia are you headed, was there at Easter so have a bit of information about Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane (and bit’s in between!)

jredmond
beers 10321 º places 301 º 11:25 Tue 10/18/2016

Originally posted by WingmanWillis
Whereabout is Australia are you headed, was there at Easter so have a bit of information about Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane (and bit’s in between!)

Sydney - would be great to get some recommendations!

WingmanWillis
admin
beers 1563 º places 1908 º 04:52 Wed 10/19/2016

I visited in April 2016. If you’re staying in the city centre, public transport is decent and cheap and can get you out and about.

Easy places first:-
The Rocks is tourist central but has a few decent places, Harts Pub, Lord Nelson, The Australian Hotel are all decent places and you’ll pick up a few beers there. It’s the oldest part of town and the Australian does pizzas that feature various Aussie critters.

In the City Centre Red Oak is a good place, has plenty of taps and specials on.

Around Darling Harbour and Pyrmont are the Pumphouse which is decent, heading over Pyrmont Bridge, the Pyrmont Bridge Hotel has a couple of craft beers on and is open 24 hours! (or get the tram to Fish Markets) then there is the Quarrymans Hotel which has a great range of Australian craft beer on cask and keg. The Harlequin and Pyrmont Point are close by and have OK ranges, might pick up a couple of new beers there. King St brewhouse is on the harbourside and is OK. Staves in Glebe isn’t far and I think it might be brewing now. Does have a decent little taplist otherwise.

A trip to Manly will see you arrive on the ferry near to 4 Pines, really nice venue, have a standard range plus Kellermeister specials on. Nice ferry ride across the harbour. A bus back into the city is the long way round but means you can visit some more brewery taps

Central and Darlinghurst in the city also have some decent pubs, the Local Taphouse (One I didn’t visit in this trip but have been there) is great, Keg & Brew is closeby in Surry Hills, there are a few other decent bars with a good keg list nearby. (Check out the Rb maps)

I’d recommend a trip to Sydenham on the train and Batch brewing. Nice taproom/brewery, tasting flights, decent beer and bottles to take away. It’s only a few mins walk from the station and easy to get to.

Last, but my no means least, is Newtown, easy to get to on the train and plenty of places nearby, The Union has a good beer list, Young Henry’s taproom is nearby and there’s a few new brewery taps in the area.

Hope that’s enough!

jredmond
beers 10321 º places 301 º 08:12 Wed 10/19/2016

I visited in April 2016. If you’re staying in the city centre, public transport is decent and cheap and can get you out and about.

The Rocks is tourist central but has a few decent places, Harts Pub, Lord Nelson, The Australian Hotel are all decent places and you’ll pick up a few beers there. It’s the oldest part of town and the Australian does pizzas that feature various Aussie critters.

Around Darling Harbour and Pyrmont are the Pumphouse which is decent, heading over Pyrmont Bridge, the Pyrmont Bridge Hotel has a couple of craft beers on and is open 24 hours! (or get the tram to Fish Markets) then there is the Quarrymans Hotel which has a great range of Australian craft beer on cask and keg. The Harlequin and Pyrmont Point are close by and have OK ranges, might pick up a couple of new beers there. King St brewhouse is on the harbourside and is OK. Staves in Glebe isn’t far and I think it might be brewing now. Does have a decent little taplist otherwise.

A trip to Manly will see you arrive on the ferry near to 4 Pines, really nice venue, have a standard range plus Kellermeister specials on. Nice ferry ride across the harbour. A bus back into the city is the long way round but means you can visit some more brewery taps

Central and Darlinghurst in the city also have some decent pubs, the Local Taphouse (One I didn’t visit in this trip but have been there) is great, Keg & Brew is closeby in Surry Hills, there are a few other decent bars with a good keg list nearby. (Check out the Rb maps)

I’d recommend a trip to Sydenham on the train and Batch brewing. Nice taproom/brewery, tasting flights, decent beer and bottles to take away. It’s only a few mins walk from the station and easy to get to.

Last, but my no means least, is Newtown, easy to get to on the train and plenty of places nearby, The Union has a good beer list, Young Henry’s taproom is nearby and there’s a few new brewery taps in the area.

Hope that’s enough!

Wow - really appreciate the thoughtful response. Cheers man.

WingmanWillis
admin
beers 1563 º places 1908 º 09:27 Wed 10/19/2016

No worries. There are other taprooms in the suburbs. (Nomad have their own plus other cuckoo brews, Modus Operandi is behind a shopping mall)

Flat Rock is pretty decent and brew really small batch beers. A bus from the city drops you off pretty much outside it and the food was decent too.

I didn’t really check out bottle shops as bought stuff from brewpubs on our way round.

A tourist tip would be get the ferry from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour/Pyrmont. Takes you past the Opera House and under the Harbour Bridge (Tourism tick!) and the Darling Harbour stop is pretty much opposite King St brewhouse.

The scene is growing all the time in Australia and quality is improving. Have a great trip!

stevoj
beers 16128 º places 1243 º 11:12 Wed 10/19/2016

Originally posted by jredmond

Hope that’s enough!

Wow - really appreciate the thoughtful response. Cheers man.

My favorite in Sydney was the Bitter Phew http://www.ratebeer.com/p/bitter-phew/40024/