Looking for beer from new countries in the New York area!

Reads 612 • Replies 8 • Started Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:39:46 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JWN
beers 158 º 14:39 Tue 3/21/2017

Let me start by saying Hi! as this is my first post here. I am currently trying to taste beer from as many countries in the world as possible (like many of you are...). I actually have a little blog about it at www.beersoftheworldproject.wordpress.com if you want to check it out. But enough selfpromotion and over to the question that I have.

I’m going to New York this Easter and I’m looking for shops where I can find beer from all over the world. I’ve already located Half Time Beverages in Mamaroneck which has a fair amount of new countries for me.

Any of you brilliant ratebeerians have any recommendations on shops?

jredmond
beers 10321 º places 301 º 11:58 Wed 3/22/2017

Are you looking for recommendations in NYC? (FYI - Half time is about 45-50 minutes north of Manhattan, not sure where you plan to stay). If you’re just looking for straight quantity and ticks, I’d check out New Beer Distributors (167 Chrystie St). I haven’t been there in awhile, but they carry one of the largest selections of beer in the city. IIRC, a large majority is American offerings, but there is also lots of international stuff as well. Good luck.

Jow
beers 7364 º places 487 º 12:56 Wed 3/22/2017

This bar has some country ticks, although i went there for a beer they had listed once and was let down but worth a shot

https://www.beermenus.com/places/34895-peculier-pub

Let us know which country ticks your able to find, I’m always looking to grab new ones

JWN
beers 158 º 13:19 Fri 3/24/2017

Thanks you both for the tips! I’ve actually heard about New Beer Distributers but since I couldn’t find a working website I was not sure about which international beers they stock. Will definately visit it during my stay :)

I’ll make sure that I report my findings when I have visited :)

JWN
beers 158 º 11:43 Wed 4/19/2017

Originally posted by Jow
This bar has some country ticks, although i went there for a beer they had listed once and was let down but worth a shot

https://www.beermenus.com/places/34895-peculier-pub

Let us know which country ticks your able to find, I’m always looking to grab new ones

Visited both Half Time Beverage up in Mamaroneck and New Beer Distributors on Manhattan and managed to find 7 new countries for me. As I live in Norway and recently started the hunt for different countries these might not be new to you. The new countries for me were: Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Lebanon, Taiwan and Vietnam.

Feel free to check out https://beersoftheworldproject.wordpress.com/ to follow my progress as I try to taste beer from as many countries as possible.

Jow
beers 7364 º places 487 º 12:04 Wed 4/19/2017

I could use some Honduras do you recall which one you picked that up from?

Jow
beers 7364 º places 487 º 12:05 Wed 4/19/2017

And congrats I’m glad you were able to pick up some new country ticks for your goal

JWN
beers 158 º 14:03 Wed 4/19/2017

I bought Port Royal Export at Half Time Beverage (they also had Barena there), but I remember seing Salva Vida at New Beer Distributors.

Jow
beers 7364 º places 487 º 08:08 Thu 5/25/2017

Thanks for heads up JWN I picked up some Salva Vida at NBD last night