Moderation of places

Reads 6142 • Replies 71 • Started Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:56:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Travlr
beers 33921 º places 4607 º 19:42 Mon 7/25/2016

Originally posted by jjsint
Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by jjsint
Actually this thread has got me wanting to go to Armenia now!

bring back brandy!

Oh... It’ll be a while yet...

I’m a patient man, and they have plenty of brandy...

A hypothetical standard #2: The place in question must have a staff member dedicated to the production and/or sale of craft beer/cider/sake (the same person handling spirits and/or wine is acceptable).

Thoughts? Obviously, the big challenge would be to verify such a thing... but this would eliminate most filling stations and big box stores.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 21:03 Mon 7/25/2016

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Originally posted by t0rin0
At the very least, it seems like there are two sets of rules- one set for regular users, and another set for admins. Maybe more. A standardized set of real rules that everyone could follow would be preferable, I think. At least everyone would be measured by the same equal standard.

Not sure what you mean, please explain. non-admins can edit places just like they can add them. What am I missing?

And for what it’s worth, I did most of my place editing before I became an admin.
Simply that there’s an extended idea of what a worthy place is on Ratebeer being presented in this thread- an idea beyond "must serve craft beer."

I have no idea what this has to do with admins vs non-admins. The rules, as bad as they might be, apply to everyone. In the case of adding places, there really is only one rule. So if you want to go add every Kroger, be my guest (assuming they follow the one rule).

At the very least, it seems like there are two sets of rules- one set for regular users, and another set for admins. Maybe more. A standardized set of real rules that everyone could follow would be preferable, I think. At least everyone would be measured by the same equal standard.

Not sure what you mean, please explain. non-admins can edit places just like they can add them. What am I missing?

And for what it’s worth, I did most of my place editing before I became an admin.
Simply that there’s an extended idea of what a worthy place is on Ratebeer being presented in this thread- an idea beyond "must serve craft beer."

I have no idea what this has to do with admins vs non-admins. The rules, as bad as they might be, apply to everyone. In the case of adding places, there really is only one rule. So if you want to go add every Kroger, be my guest (assuming they follow the one rule).
This was posted earlier in the thread:

My couple rule of thumbs for deleting places are:
1) It’s not selling beer at all or it’s main purpose is not to sell beer (fe: Burger King, McDonalds etc)
2) It’s a coffee shop, restaurant, pub etc in a dense area selling only macros and there are better places in close range (old towns, central hubs)
3) If it’s an individual location entry for a supermarket chain (selection is 90% same so why bother?)
4) Duplicate

I do not delete the place if:
1) it is the only place in the district/town/area and selling some beer (small town pubs mainly)
2) if the main purpose is not to sell beer, but got something unique on tap (imagine McDonalds selling Urquell Nefiltrovaný in one of their restaurants in X-City outside of Plzen. Or similar.)
3) Selling very kraft beers

(End of post)

This is more than "serves craft beer"... this shows an expanded criteria that is beyond our one simple rule. If there is a broader criteria being used by admins for weeding out unwanted places, that should also be public. Simple as that.

caesar
beers 7642 º places 411 º 05:17 Tue 7/26/2016

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer this shows an expanded criteria that is beyond our one simple rule. If there is a broader criteria being used by admins for weeding out unwanted places, that should also be public. Simple as that.

I think this is just how one individual admin handles things in his area. I read a lot of forum topics and sometimes I feel people think there is a lot of stuff going on behind the admin scenes. I can assure you: there is not. Most is just out in the open. For example, the whole Dutch scene is 100% transparant. I even created a local public topic for it, where I comment on every ’decision’ that is made when asked for. Just contact your local admin and Im sure most of them will be happy to tell you everything you want to know. :-)

Marduk
beers 22023 º places 969 º 06:00 Tue 7/26/2016

Originally posted by caesar
I think this is just how one individual admin handles things in his area.

Yes. I try to follow those rules in my area. Those rules are not in any way RB official approach.

I want that if somebody is visiting Baltics and uses RB as a place source, that they get as good overview as possible. Instead of hitting tourist traps and buying macros for scary prices we locals try to guide them to places actually worth going for a beer.

Originally posted by Marduk
Originally posted by caesar
I think this is just how one individual admin handles things in his area.

Yes. I try to follow those rules in my area. Those rules are not in any way RB official approach.

I want that if somebody is visiting Baltics and uses RB as a place source, that they get as good overview as possible. Instead of hitting tourist traps and buying macros for scary prices we locals try to guide them to places actually worth going for a beer.
And I can dig that, but it’s a different standard than "serves craft beer," yes?

Marduk
beers 22023 º places 969 º 07:04 Tue 7/26/2016

In some ways yes.

Originally posted by Marduk
In some ways yes.
And that’s what I am trying to say about there being two (or more) sets of standards upon which worthy places are judged.

Maybe this is already happening, but I think every entered place should be vetted by the admin local to that area. I have no idea how much work that would be (I’m sure someone will inform me shortly). Perhaps a message when a place is added that says "Thank you for adding a new place to our database! Please allow xxx number of days for your place listing to appear while we verify your entry."

altonbrownd
beers 5922 º places 341 º 22:30 Tue 7/26/2016

Originally posted by chriso
The problem is that as long as they serve beer they’re allowed. Feel free to post a list of all the places that don’t meet that criteria.

I think the criteria are that they have to serve craft beer, and be open for business. So a bar that serves only Bud Light would not be allowed

That’s pretty subjective though. If we’re going by the BA guidelines and calling anything non-macro a "craft" beer then the bar with 4 taps: Bud Light, MGD, Shocktop, and Sam Adams Boston Lager would be valid here.

Also, there are many countries (e.g. much of Africa) where there is no local beer at all that would qualify as "craft" by most defintions. Unless there are bars that have the odd (probably commonplace) craft import, those countries are going to be completely devoid of RB-worthy places. I’d imagine, though, that most RB types would be more interested in the local beers, even if they are likely to be mass produced pale lagers, often produced by a subsidiary of AB-InBev-SabMiller. Sometimes you just want to know about the best of a bad bunch.

yes, exactly. as joet says, the liberalness of the definition is increased as local options decrease. Africa is a great example. The only craft breweries/brewpubs I know of are in Kenya, Ghana and Ethiopia. Other than that, I think it is worthwhile to enter places that have a large, unusual or complete selection, even if they’re crap adjunct lagers. For instance, I entered a hotel bar in Maputo that had all beers available in Mozambique. I entered a store in Djibouti that had crappy lagers from half a dozen African countries. etc, etc.

Gene, Namibia and South Africa also have craft breweries.