Mr Smith Gose to... Thornbridge?

Reads 2033 • Replies 7 • Started Monday, November 6, 2017 4:44:34 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 04:44 Mon 11/6/2017

Seems like it's going to be a big day in Waitrose next Monday - as well as the Fuller's & Friends bottles, they're launching a watermelon Gose. This from the press release:

"Waitrose, in partnership with Thornbridge Brewery and Brew UK, has announced the winner of the 2017 Great British Homebrew Challenge – a watermelon-infused beer brewed by digital designer, Josh Smith.

"The Gose, a German style of beer, is named ‘Mr Smith Gose to…’ after the well-known 1939 Frank Capra ‘Mr Smith Goes to Washington’ and made with watermelon juice. It will be available in Waitrose shops from the 13th November.

"The Great British Homebrew Challenge, now in its fourth year, sets out to find the best home-brewed beer in the country. The winning recipe, chosen by a panel of experts including Thornbridge’s Head Brewer, Rob Lovatt, and Waitrose beer buyer, Sarah Hammond, is brewed by Thornbridge and sold at Waitrose shops across the country."

imdownthepub
beers 26094 º places 2112 º 04:48 Mon 11/6/2017

Doh, our Waitrose is still being constructed, could be a while before I can get these.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40552 º places 1239 º 06:06 Mon 11/6/2017

This nothing to do with Leighton then ?

Fin
beers 17274 º places 1653 º 06:15 Mon 11/6/2017

Originally posted by imdownthepub
Doh, our Waitrose is still being constructed, could be a while before I can get these.

When is it due to open Glen? Is it down near GF and the cemetery on the Southam Rd?

imdownthepub
beers 26094 º places 2112 º 07:16 Mon 11/6/2017

Originally posted by Fin
Originally posted by imdownthepub

When is it due to open Glen? Is it down near GF and the cemetery on the Southam Rd?

Yes exactly right. I believe they are now due to open after the New Year, I think there has been problems.

MannyGoldberg
beers 208 º places 31 º 09:52 Wed 11/8/2017

Psyched for Josh winning this. He was one half of the Evening Brews blog which folks might remember from a few years ago.

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 11:14 Wed 11/8/2017

Hate to be 'that guy' but all the pun beer names that require you to mentally mispronounce gose slightly annoy me. Quite low on the sliding scale of annoyance, but still

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 11:33 Wed 11/8/2017

Originally posted by The_Osprey
Hate to be 'that guy' but all the pun beer names that require you to mentally mispronounce gose slightly annoy me. Quite low on the sliding scale of annoyance, but still

Same here. It suggests the punnist doesn't know how to say it properly.