My blog with thoughts from the Borefts Beer Festival

Reads 890 • Replies 8 • Started Thursday, October 8, 2015 3:01:50 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Christian
beers 17390 º places 278 º 03:01 Thu 10/8/2015

Borefts Beer Festival 2015

Comments welcome, obviously

Triballus
places 3 º 03:31 Thu 10/8/2015

Well. I definately think you should name names ;-P There are always breweries that put out flawed, bad or dumb beers. If the ratebeer-community doesn’t punish them for that. Then who?
Aren’t we all trying to build a better beer future?

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 04:23 Thu 10/8/2015

I agree, mention names! I think De Molen does very well with their Imperial stouts, but their ipas I find rather disappointing.

Did you get a chance to try some of the Omnipollo offerings? They were fantastic and creative.

Christian
beers 17390 º places 278 º 04:34 Thu 10/8/2015

Originally posted by Triballus
Well. I definately think you should name names ;-P There are always breweries that put out flawed, bad or dumb beers. If the ratebeer-community doesn’t punish them for that. Then who?

I only got to B (for Brewski) in entering ratings so far, but there are already some sub-3 ratings from Boreft in my history...

I named names (or at least made it clear who I was talking about) last year when two breweries were absolutely below standard, but this year it wasn’t that definitive. I had a diacetyl IPA from Oedipus in Amsterdam, but I also had a drinkable double IPA and Imperial Stout... (I didn’t try too many moreof the lower ABV)

I definitely agree that De Molen’s pale beers aren’t world class. And I wasn’t too impressed with the (two) Omnipollo weird things I tried

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 10:52 Thu 10/8/2015

Originally posted by Christian
Originally posted by Triballus

I only got to B (for Brewski) in entering ratings so far, but there are already some sub-3 ratings from Boreft in my history...

I named names (or at least made it clear who I was talking about) last year when two breweries were absolutely below standard, but this year it wasn’t that definitive. I had a diacetyl IPA from Oedipus in Amsterdam, but I also had a drinkable double IPA and Imperial Stout... (I didn’t try too many moreof the lower ABV)

I definitely agree that De Molen’s pale beers aren’t world class. And I wasn’t too impressed with the (two) Omnipollo weird things I tried

Did you try their imperial stouts? better than any I had at the fest!

cgarvieuk
beers 37773 º places 457 º 14:31 Thu 10/8/2015

Today, it would have been near impossible to do all of them anyway.

I think the key word hear is NEAR.
:-)

FatPhil
beers 26351 º places 998 º 05:57 Fri 10/9/2015

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Today, it would have been near impossible to do all of them anyway.

I think the key word hear is NEAR.
:-)

Sometimes spelt c-h-a-l-l-e-n-g-e.

FatPhil
beers 26351 º places 998 º 06:09 Fri 10/9/2015

I do get the feeling that there’s a bit of a good-festival ratings-inflation problem. Yay, this is a stout from X, and X do great stouts, therefore - before even taking the glass back from the server - this is a great stout.

If anything I think I’m usually swayed a little in the opposite direction. I want good beers, and if I get some fashion-following mediocre brew from an over-hyped brewery, I’m gonna be more inclined to be annoyed by it, and spend more time picking holes in it than trying to find something positive in it.

Christian
beers 17390 º places 278 º 06:33 Fri 10/9/2015

Well, I actually think I have had a bit of a good-festival, less-stressed, happy-rater bias lately. I think my rating average is higher than it was a few years ago, and perhaps because I don’t do the gotta-catch-them-all c-h-a-l-l-e-n-g-e?

But Hel & Verdoemenis Cognac at least shows that I don’t automatically assign the highest rating to a new barrel treatment of one of the world’s best and most barrel-friendly imperial stouts :)