NE IPAs, the Emperor's New Clothes?

Reads 5692 • Replies 42 • Started Wednesday, November 1, 2017 12:45:23 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Fin
beers 17308 º places 1653 º 07:31 Thu 11/2/2017

I agree with many views in this thread and whilst I don't dislike the NEIPA style I think that it is just a case of getting weary of the hype, next big thing push. FWIW I prefer the West Coast IPA's, bitterness and a cleaner more defined flavour profile. Its also interesting to see what breweries aren't getting get caught up with the hype train, so to the best of my knowledge Kernel one of our best breweries when it comes to brewing an IPA style beer have never produced this style?

anon84892
beers 3284 º places 21 º 07:38 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by FatPhil
I'm with Ian on this. It's a mostly pointless fashion, a miniture poodle of beers. And not only is the hype huge, there are way too many people who just believe that this is how beers should now be. They've never questioned anything, they've never disagreed - sometimes I think they must have wool in their ears.

And when you see a cane I see a crock
And when you see a crowd I see a flock
it's Sheep we're up against.

Do you two talk this much shit in real life or do you save it for RateBeer?

Ian - I'm glad to hear that you've decided not to persist on drinking a beer style that you don't like and give it low scores just to up the number next to your name, more people should follow that example.

Fair enough to state that you don't like a style and the reasons why. It's not right to suggest that people who enjoy it are somehow in the wrong or that the beer is 'badly brewed' just because you don't like it.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 07:43 Thu 11/2/2017

Nobody openly judges the tickers on here repeatedly rating pale lagers, hundreds of them. But it's ok, most of those don't all taste the same and have been made the same way for thousands of years, so it's still ok to drink those.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 07:45 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by BenH
I'm with Ian on this. It's a mostly pointless fashion, a miniture poodle of beers. And not only is the hype huge, there are way too many people who just believe that this is how beers should now be. They've never questioned anything, they've never disagreed - sometimes I think they must have wool in their ears.

Ian - I'm glad to hear that you've decided not to persist on drinking a beer style that you don't like and give it low scores just to up the number next to your name, more people should follow that example.

Fair enough to state that you don't like a style and the reasons why. It's not right to suggest that people who enjoy it are somehow in the wrong or that the beer is 'badly brewed' just because you don't like it.

And BenH beats me to the punch. Tickers gonna tick.

madmitch76
beers 37081 º places 240 º 08:43 Thu 11/2/2017

Well this thread got knarky real quick!

People getting SAD so quick after the clock change?

SlackerMads
beers 4171 º places 66 º 09:15 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by Fin
I agree with many views in this thread and whilst I don't dislike the NEIPA style I think that it is just a case of getting weary of the hype, next big thing push. FWIW I prefer the West Coast IPA's, bitterness and a cleaner more defined flavour profile. Its also interesting to see what breweries aren't getting get caught up with the hype train, so to the best of my knowledge Kernel one of our best breweries when it comes to brewing an IPA style beer have never produced this style?

I pretty much feel the same way. There are some fine NEIPA's, I buy Stigbergets every now and then and the Trillium I have tried were good. Other times I find the hazy IPA's to be too rough for me, not because of bitterness, but because they get too sharp and green which I assume has to do with the dryhopping process. This combined with a yeast that gives this milky lactose-like texture and tastes like dough plus some high alcohol rarely works for me. I prefer things more towards the clean(er), dry and bitter side.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 09:18 Thu 11/2/2017

For me a lot of them are too much fruit cocktail and not enough drinkability to consume in any quantity. But too many more traditional US IPAs and DIPAs are too sweet for me. I still drink them though. That's the wonder of thirds. I can enjoy the smaller volume but don't have to struggle through a full half, or even pint (at some places in the US).

harrisoni
beers 25414 º places 68 º 11:51 Thu 11/2/2017

Oh, I think I probably save it all up for Ratebeer. All my anger and frustrations of the day poured out in an incoherent rant. The upstairs neighbours have complained about the primeval roars I used to let out due to the noise levels, so I have to take t'internet to release all my pent up rage.

And yes you are quite right. I shouldn't suggest people are necessarily wrong.

Mind you, other opinions are available.

harrisoni
beers 25414 º places 68 º 11:54 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by madmitch76
Well this thread got knarky real quick!

People getting SAD so quick after the clock change?

Yes SAD as well as having to put up with the noise and traffic and sheer volume of people in London for 3 out of 5 days this week. I like my sleepy backwater of deepest darkest Kent.

FatPhil
beers 26286 º places 998 º 12:14 Thu 11/2/2017

{blah blah blah}

Depends. One of the last time we chatted in person there were statements like "I do like the availability of third pints at this festival, but this whole pint of unfiltered czech lager is just delicious". How "shit" is such a statement in your enlightened eyes (presumably enlightened to a to a desperately pale and suitably hazy colour)? That kind of statement seems perfectly sound to me.