QuickBeer for Android updates/feedback thread

Reads 1351 • Replies 11 • Started Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:48:25 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

apoi
beers 2 º 18:48 Tue 8/1/2017

I thought it may be useful to publish QuickBeer updates somewhere more permanent than just the store listing page, so here’s a thread for it

Just published a new version, 3.2.474. This brings an improved country details page with country specific beer culture snippets. The data was found on Wikipedia, and while there was a surprisingly good coverage of countries (76), a lot of interesting countries are also missing. Got beer-banning Iran and Malaysia though so there’s that.

Also removed a warning label from the login page since the login seems to be quite stable now.

Google Play page for the app

As usual, feedback is welcome!

MiP
beers 20011 º places 34 º 05:20 Wed 8/2/2017

Looks good and works fast. Still hoping for ability to rate, though.

apoi
beers 2 º 05:52 Wed 8/2/2017

Originally posted by MiP
Looks good and works fast. Still hoping for ability to rate, though.

That’s definitely still in the plans. I had to postpone the ticking and rating related features due to those recent login API issues, but those are now thankfully resolved.

apoi
beers 2 º 17:36 Thu 8/3/2017

3.2.475 is a small bugfix release, the country label on brewer details screen didn’t open the country view properly. While I was at it, the city label in brewer screen now launches Wikipedia and tapping the address label will try to open the address in maps.

apoi
beers 2 º 17:27 Tue 8/8/2017

Login has still an issue where the session expires rather quickly. New version 3.2.480 works around this by automatically doing a re-login in case an operation which requires an active session fails (ticking a beer, or fetching the list of ticks.)

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 14:10 Wed 8/9/2017

This looks promising, is there a reason though why it thinks I’ve only rated 34 beers, instead of 4.8k?

And why does the search ignore the brewery? For example, last week I rated Barre Alt, but it’s impossible to find this in QuickBeer - there’s too many beers called Barrel something with "alt" in there too somewhere.

And anyway, why does it only list all the names containing "Barrel", and not "Barre"?

Adding part of the brewer name doesn’t make any difference - I can’t even find the brewery with an exact name search!

apoi
beers 2 º 17:00 Wed 8/9/2017

Thanks for the comments!

Originally posted by BeerViking
This looks promising, is there a reason though why it thinks I’ve only rated 34 beers, instead of 4.8k?

As of now, the app only supports ticking, not writing the full reviews. The same goes for listing your current ratings -- for now, only the ticks are shown.

And why does the search ignore the brewery?

You’re right, the search is only for beers and not breweries, which makes some beers a bit hard to find. I’m not sure what would be the best way to include the breweries in search -- should one search show both beer and brewery results, and show them in similar tabs as the home page has? Or a separate view where you specifically search for breweries only?

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 17:51 Wed 8/9/2017

Originally posted by apoi
Thanks for the comments!

As of now, the app only supports ticking, not writing the full reviews. The same goes for listing your current ratings -- for now, only the ticks are shown.

Ah, right. I hardly ever use that feature, which explains the low number.

You’re right, the search is only for beers and not breweries, which makes some beers a bit hard to find.

Hm, that still doesn’t explain why a search for "barre" turns up a load of names containing "barrel" and precisely none containing the word Barre - most odd!

I’m not sure what would be the best way to include the breweries in search -- should one search show both beer and brewery results, and show them in similar tabs as the home page has?

I like that idea, it’s also usefully similar to how RB will, if you search on a string, return all beer, breweries and venues that match it.

Do please keep up the good work!

apoi
beers 2 º 17:21 Mon 8/14/2017

Hm, that still doesn’t explain why a search for "barre" turns up a load of names containing "barrel" and precisely none containing the word Barre - most odd!

That’s just how the Ratebeer search works as there is no Google-level relevance logic. I assume it’s finding all beers containing "barre" and taking 50 first ones, sorted by the beer id. Could be something else, but along those lines I think.

Just out is a new release 3.2.487 with the following improvements:
* More robust relogin in case of unknown errors or session timeout. This should fix the "try again later" ticking errors caused by unexpectedly expired sessions
* Small review card redesign since some new reviews don’t contain the detailed scoring

apoi
beers 2 º 18:03 Fri 10/13/2017

Update 3.2.512 is just out! What's new:

- Pull-to-refresh to all views that fetch RateBeer data
- Various small bugfixes and cosmetic improvements
- Increased compatibility with old devices: now supporting Android versions starting from 4.2

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 20:27 Fri 10/13/2017

Originally posted by apoi

That’s just how the Ratebeer search works as there is no Google-level relevance logic. I assume it’s finding all beers containing "barre" and taking 50 first ones, sorted by the beer id. Could be something else, but along those lines I think.

You are exactly right. It's a bit ironic given that other users are extremely annoyed about the Google-style search on mobile. As a developer, you can't win! :-)

I guess we can do better to educate about the way we operate.

Ultimately, I think the search I've developed works very well for power users who know how to use it. They can often find a unique beer in about 10 keystrokes, including click in and return, whereby the google-style search takes almost double that for the average beer. But the Google-style search is far more user-friendly.

I believe we're nearly at consensus that we should have a standard Google-style search and then have a "power option" which might be suggested to power users who would benefit from it.