Santa Rosa burning down in wildfire ----

Reads 2453 • Replies 29 • Started Monday, October 9, 2017 6:15:55 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bhensonb
beers 22072 º places 678 º 18:15 Mon 10/9/2017

Bottle Barn was right in the path - a KMart half a mile upwind burned down.

Any news on Bottle Barn?

Russian River downtown seemed likely to be ok.

Any news on any beer things affected by the fire?

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 18:21 Mon 10/9/2017

Wine. Big time. Not cool.

bhensonb
beers 22072 º places 678 º 18:28 Mon 10/9/2017

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/09/maps-napa-wildfire-santa-rosa-evacuation-area/

Some evacuation around Kenwood - which makes good wine - but I'm not thinking vineyards are all that flammable. Hope I'm not wrong.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 18:44 Mon 10/9/2017

If a wildfire hits a vineyard it will burn. Quickly I’d suspect.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 18:50 Mon 10/9/2017

And you'd assume the soil around it ruined from the smoke either way.

bhensonb
beers 22072 º places 678 º 18:53 Mon 10/9/2017

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
If a wildfire hits a vineyard it will burn. Quickly I’d suspect.

It's complicated. Most vineyards I've seen around Napa are probably prepared per AU concepts.* Most areas, even building surrounds are pretty well kept clear of flammables. But if the leaves are dry and on vines ....

http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/horticulture/wine-and-grapes/preparing-your-vineyard-for-fire

Didn't find anything pertinent on US sites.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 18:59 Mon 10/9/2017

Leaves don’t need to be dry on vines. Wildfires can destroy river beds with lush green trees/grass. Not sure why you think non-flammables would really matter. They’d need to be very far from any sparks/smoke/etc

bhensonb
beers 22072 º places 678 º 19:03 Mon 10/9/2017

Originally posted by DietPepsican
And you'd assume the soil around it ruined from the smoke either way.

Nothing on soil found on the web except cigarettes and houseplants.

Effect on plants in leaf can be bad:

"Smoke, produced by combustion of some material, means that there is increased carbon dioxide over a limited area. This is good for the plants and can increase their growth if there is sufficient light.
The smoke particles that we see, however, are particulate pollution which can coat the leaf surface, reducing photosynthesis. These particulates can also clog stomatal pores, reducing gas exchange in the leaf. These effects are bad for plants."

But I think the harvest is done now, and the leaves are not doing much as winter comes on.

Historically California has grape vines on both sides of the Sacramento Valley, there have been major fires over the last century or so, and nothing particularly bad seems to have resulted to the winery industry except buildings burned.

Most news right now is about business/job/housing loss - nothing so far on wineries it seems. Some of the big ones have their own fire fighting equipment. Fingers xd.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 20:13 Mon 10/9/2017

Oh my god, horrible day in Santa Rosa. Several people who I'd worked with had their homes destroyed, were evacuated and/or are in the path of an uncontained fire. One of the hotels we looked at doing RateBeer Best is totally destroyed. A park I used to take my son to and the neighborhood surrounding it is now gray smoking ash. The radio station where I worked has had great coverage all day. Awaiting to hear something on one of our food vendors, a friend who built his business from a hot dog cart and built his restaurant with his own hands. Hisplace is right there in Kensington next to a winery I know burned to the ground.

Very very sad.

Looks like Napa vineyards got hit really hard.

This is terrible. Checking in with friends all day long.

douglas88
admin
beers 13239 º places 398 º 22:09 Mon 10/9/2017

Damn. Horrible

bhensonb
beers 22072 º places 678 º 22:10 Mon 10/9/2017

Update from BV:

As you have likely heard, our region of California was impacted today by wild fires. The winery’s focus is on ensuring all of our employees are safe and we are not sending people in harm’s way. The local fire crews and authorities are doing their best to work on containing the fires.
At this stage, there is limited damage to our infrastructures and sites, however the fires are ongoing and we still have limited access to all of our different assets. The majority of our vineyards are not presently in the direct fire zones.
Thank you very much for the concern and outreach you have shown us. We send everyone in our valley heartfelt wishes for safety and good health. The winery was closed today and will remain closed tomorrow as it is not safe to add to the congestion in the area.

BV is towards the south of the general wine area. So this may not reflect the general situation.