Sour Cherry Speedway from CraftHeads

Reads 635 • Replies 7 • Started Thursday, October 6, 2016 8:31:03 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 08:31 Thu 10/6/2016

I wanted to bring this up earlier, but just got too busy. Anyways, I think some of us (I know me, Raul and Davido) had the "Cherry Speedway" at CraftHeads a few weeks ago. Us three, plus a few others were there for CraftHeads Anniversary on the Tuesday night. Well, I went back on Thursday night for a business dinner/drinks and talked to Koji/Michael. He casually told me that he created the beer himself by adding cherries to the keg, I think it was like 6 months prior. Needless to say I was a bit surprised, but he likened it to using the Randall and he wanted to create something unique. Moreover he seemed to wanted to alter the beer to piss off Jute, the import company. As some of you may know Michael and Jute are not the best of friends to say the least.

Anyways, its clear this is not the Sour Cherries Speedway that is listed in the database and if you look at the other ratings, it seems this beer is more tart than the other ratings. Personally I loved this and I remember Davido gripping it is too sour and I said on ratebeer it is Sour Cherries Speedway, but they mislabeled it Cherry Speedway. Well Davido perhaps did have a point it seems.

My personal take is that this type of stuff has been done before by numerous bars (Raisins added to Super Vintage Ale (ushitora), Dry Hopping done at the bar to Minoh’s WIPA (Thrashzone)), so I am not too offended. More over, I loved the beer and if you are going to do this and take my money, it better be something damn good. I don’t know if it was better than regular Speedway, but it was certainly different.

I will nuke the ratings in a day or so, but let people rant here first if they want.

In case people don’t know, altering a beer at a bar does not qualify as a new beer (or make it like a similar beer that already exists)

Tim

beercation
beers 2 º places 4 º 10:36 Thu 10/6/2016

I think Alesmith does the same during the Speedway Grand Prix Event though. If that’s the case the other entries are questionable as well. I’ll check with the SoCal guys.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 11:04 Thu 10/6/2016

Originally posted by beercation
I think Alesmith does the same during the Speedway Grand Prix Event though. If that’s the case the other entries are questionable as well. I’ll check with the SoCal guys.

The difference is, if a brewery does it to a keg at the brewery and market the product uniquely that is fine, it is a separate entry. If a bar modifies the beer, then it is not permissible.

i am guessing Alesmith does this at the brewery, in which case it is a separate beer.

Tim

KyotoLefty
beers 15123 º places 1061 º 20:57 Thu 10/6/2016

Supposedly, even if a brewery does it, it should not be a new entry if they just add fruit or hops to a keg. It is supposed to be done to a whole batch before packaging.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 21:44 Thu 10/6/2016

Ahh, my mistake.

Arturo, can you look into this? If they just added to the keg, we might need to nuke the entire entry.

Thanks
Tim

beercation
beers 2 º places 4 º 09:37 Fri 10/7/2016

I will ask Peter and Vicky right now.

beercation
beers 2 º places 4 º 10:19 Fri 10/7/2016

Nuke Time!

ME: Hi Peter, how are you? Sorry to bother you, but I have a question from my ratebeer friends. We were wondering about the Sour Cherry speedway stout that is currently on tap. Was the beer with Cherries or the Cherries were added to a regular keg of speedway. We are going over the beer entry in the ratebeer page if the beer was actually brewed with cherries. Thank you. http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/alesmith-speedway-stout--sour-cherry/191320/
AleSmith Speedway Stout - Dried Sour Cherries
AleSmith Speedway Stout - Dried Sour Cherries a Imperial Stout beer by AleSmith Brewing Company, a brewery in San Diego, California
ratebeer.com

PETER: Hi Arturo! Cherries were added. Thanks and hope you enjoyed the brew!

yuichituba
beers 1 º 11:24 Thu 10/13/2016

Among all the fancy Speedway variants, I still say the original is best.
The rest are just slightly different from the original; not better.

-Winton "I still like the Barrel-aged Vietnamese Speedway" White