Sour Red

Reads 2149 • Replies 1 • Started Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:00:27 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

fleetwoodfba
22:00 Tue 11/7/2017

I've been struggling to keep my four taps full over the months, but I want to get back to making some sour beers. I want to brew a red, I'm thinking something with lacto and brett that will hopefully take 5-6 months. I just wanted to come here and ask if anyone had any thoughts/ experience on ABV and primary strains (English/ Belgian). I brewed a brown a while back that was about 5.2% that came out pretty good, but La Folie is pretty damn good at 7% and I really like the idea of a little body and maltiness. Thanks in advance for any ideas/ conversation.

CLevar
places 23 º 10:49 Wed 11/8/2017

Body is tough with true mixed culture beers. You end up with organisms that can consumer just about everything that the primary ale yeast leaves behind. BUT, if you go with just Lacto and Sacch you could have a better shot. Also, not all Brett strains are equal in their ability to consume body-building malt constituents, so it is possible to add some Brett to the mix, assuming the chosen strain plays well with your grain bill.

For primary ale choice, it’s important to ask what you want the final character to be. Using a Belgian or POF strain followed by Brett will likely give you more Brett character, while using a more neutral primary strain will leave less fun compounds for the Brett to work on later. Also consider the attenuation level and fermentation kinetics of the primary strain- if significant and rapid lactic acid production is required/desired, choosing a vigorous yeast like French Saison isn’t a great move

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer