Western Canada Road Trip Planning

Reads 3232 • Replies 32 • Started Monday, August 8, 2016 12:33:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jercraigs
beers 14887 º places 1051 º 12:33 Mon 8/8/2016

Any suggestions for resources for route planning? Driving Winnipeg to Vancouver is the tentative plan but it’s mostly in the day dreaming stage right now! Primary criteria so far is that I want to hit at least one national park per province.

dresden
beers 1581 º places 119 º 13:10 Mon 8/8/2016

I tihnk you’re going to have to take a very large detour in Saskatchewan. As far as i know, there are only a couple of National Parks here - Prince Albert and Grasslands. Grasslands isn’t too far from the #1 highway (2 hours?) if you’re planning to go South to Calgary, or Prince Albert National Park if you’re going the North Route to Edmonton.

Neither of these are really beer destinations, but you could make stops in Regina or Saskatoon to fill up before you head to the park! Grasslands Park you could also go to Black Bridge Brewing in Swift Current. Sounds like a nice drive.

fiulijn
beers 28379 º places 745 º 14:45 Mon 8/8/2016

And if you finalize the plans, don’t forget to get in touch!

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 16:30 Mon 8/8/2016

As someone that has visited SK more than I’d like to admit, you shouldn’t discount some of the Provincial Parks out West. Cypress Hills Prov Park on the AB/SK border and Writing-On-Stone Prov Park in AB which are both pretty cool. There are also some interesting private campgrounds in the Qu-Appelle Valley, SK, south and west of Moose Jaw.

Lots of great NP choices further west:

ALBERTA
- Waterton NP (southern route)
- Banff NP (northern route)
- Jasper NP (northern route)

BRITISH COLUMBIA
- Kootenay NP (northern route)
- Glacier NP (northern route)
- Mt. Revelstoke NP (northern route)
- Gulf Islands NP (Vancouver Island)
- Pacific Rim NP (Vancouver Island)

Oakes always bugs me that I’m trying to recruit to Vancouver Island - but from what I’ve heard from travelers to the Island is that they’d spent too much time in Vancouver and wished they’d spent 2-3 more days here.

Another ROAD TIP: Winnipeg to Yellowstone is a nice way to avoid SK. After which, head north to Writing-On-Stone PP in Alberta.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 17:45 Mon 8/8/2016

I just did Jasper to Banff a couple weeks ago. That is the best scenery you will find in Western Canada/Canada. I always though Calgary-Banff was nice but it’s not on the same level at all. It would be worth extra effort for this trip and stop at the Colombia Ice Fields. Jasper oddly has one of the best beer stores in W Canada as well. Amazing AB/BC selection.

Waterton is ok, but Banff/Jasper are much better.

If you do the route, it’s not too much of a detour to stop at Bench Creek Brewery. Not top notch but their location is unique. Call a head as they have odd opening times and I hope your car isn’t too small cause the road to get there is a bit less than paved.

Tim

dfearnley
beers 3422 º 03:57 Tue 8/9/2016

If you’re coming through Edmonton, then Elk Island NP is kind of cool due to the Bison conservation program. It’s not as beautiful as the mountain parks, but hiking or biking in and around the bison can be pretty cool.

Derek

jercraigs
beers 14887 º places 1051 º 06:50 Tue 8/9/2016

Thanks guys! Would probably not be until May - August 2017 but I like to read up in advance :)

Not against provincial parks by any means. Mabel is pretty keen on Dinosaur Provincial Park in AB for example. I read somewhere that the roads in SK can be pretty bad near Cypress Hills?

Not sure if we’d be camping or not. We’d have to buy/rent equipment if we fly into Winnipeg/Vancouver - I don’t really want to spend two - three days just driving from Toronto to Winnipeg.

We shall see!

jercraigs
beers 14887 º places 1051 º 06:50 Tue 8/9/2016

Any good books, or websites other than Ratebeer that people would recommend?

dresden
beers 1581 º places 119 º 09:57 Tue 8/9/2016

I havent been to Cypress in a while, but i am sure the roads are fine. If you’re not camping, there are cabins and a hotel there. It’s worth the stop over grasslands I think.

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 10:16 Tue 8/9/2016

Roads in Cypress Hills are fantastic, actually! As you get closer Jeremy, drop me a line. I live in Medicine Hat and can give you tips once you firm up your plans. Our brewery-- Hell’s Basement-- will be open by then, and I’d love to give you a personal tour!

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 10:17 Tue 8/9/2016

Originally posted by jercraigs
Any good books, or websites other than Ratebeer that people would recommend?

Travelwiki usually does a decent job though if you just want info on national parks, probably just looking up each park to see if it is all that interesting to you.

Tim