Where to buy bourbon

Reads 1885 • Replies 11 • Started Friday, October 21, 2016 1:45:19 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 01:45 Fri 10/21/2016

Hey guys,

I’ll be in Louisville for the Shelton festival. Not really worried about beer (I’ll be at all three sessions) but am looking to buy some good bourbon. Ideally not on the expensive end, but more on the affordable yet not distributed end (I hear Heaven Hill 6 Year BIB might be one of these things?) Let me know if you have input/insight into either bourbons I should be on the lookout for, or good stores to get them, particularly downtown. I’ll be staying at the Galt House, so within walking or cab proximity to that would be ideal. Thanks!

Carl

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 04:55 Fri 10/21/2016

You’d be best served to speak to Brigadier. Somehow, I’ve never been bitten by the Bourbon bug.

shrubber85
admin
beers 15129 º places 448 º 09:03 Sat 10/22/2016

The Liquor Barn stores have huge Bourbon sections (especially the one in Springhurst) but none of them are close to downtown - there isn’t really any good liquor stores in the downtown area.

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 02:03 Mon 10/24/2016

Thanks guys. I saw the Liquor Barns and they look awesome but I don’t know if I’ll have a car or time to get out to the outskirts of the city. Let me know if anyone has any downtown epiphanies.

drfabulous
beers 15647 º places 239 º 15:49 Mon 10/24/2016

I don’t think we get too much - shelf bourbon - that you can’t get where you live. Most regular stuff gets wide distro. The more difficult stuff is difficult for me too. I love W. L. Weller (and it’s so affordable) but if I am not at the store at the right time, forget it. That said, I live in Lexington, not Louisville. But I can’t imagine it’s that much different there.

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 06:03 Tue 10/25/2016

Originally posted by craftycarl21
Thanks guys. I saw the Liquor Barns and they look awesome but I don’t know if I’ll have a car or time to get out to the outskirts of the city. Let me know if anyone has any downtown epiphanies.
Hmm. If you’d be willing to ride a TARC bus/cab, this opens up many more possibilities... A place that has a smaller, but more cultivated spirits selection is Bottled, but with it being in Old Louisville, I’d try to go during daytime hours. You could walk it, but the area can be a little sketchy. Takes about 30 odd minutes from the Galt House.

https://www.facebook.com/bottledme/

Liquor Barn is another good option, but they are mostly on the periphery of town. The Springhurst location is the best, in my opinion. Again, consider TARC.

http://www.ratebeer.com/p/liquor-barn--town-center-springhurst-louisville/479/

Old Town is another one that will also put you within walking distance of lots of Ratebeer places, and you might find some surprising beer there as well.

http://www.ratebeer.com/p/old-town-wine-and-spirits-louisville/7749/59961/

You likely already know this, but Louisville Beer Store and/or Holy Grale are places you should seek out while in the area, for beer, not bourbon. There are no must visit breweries here.

Not sure if you’ve spoken to Brigadier, but I think he’s a fan of this place:

http://doccrows.com/whiskey/

It’s a barbecue place, but apparently the kind that has top notch spirits. So, Louisville. But, as mentioned, you’re not likely to find any of the extra rare stuff sitting out for retail. I don’t know bourbon enough to say, but when a new, well regarded bottle is released, there’s always a line outside any store to snatch it all up.

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 16:41 Fri 10/28/2016

So... what did you decide?

kramer
17:52 Sun 10/30/2016

I’m headed out to Lexington/Louisville this coming week for a few days to hit up some distilleries and beer spots. Wondering how the above advice worked out?

Anything of interest happening at any of the local breweries this coming week? Breweries that shouldn’t be missed? Staying in downtown Louisville Friday and Saturday nights.

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 19:09 Sun 10/30/2016

Originally posted by kramer
I’m headed out to Lexington/Louisville this coming week for a few days to hit up some distilleries and beer spots. Wondering how the above advice worked out?

Anything of interest happening at any of the local breweries this coming week? Breweries that shouldn’t be missed? Staying in downtown Louisville Friday and Saturday nights.
Talk to drfabulous for all things Lexington. In Louisville, you can’t go wrong with a visit to Holy Grale or Louisville Beer Store. All of the Louisville breweries are skippable. Otherwise, check the places ratings for Louisville; I’ve tried to be honest and non-homerish in my evaluations.

Furthermore, I hope you add your place ratings to any place you decide to visit!

drfabulous
beers 15647 º places 239 º 20:00 Sun 10/30/2016

Lexington: Ethereal, Blue Stallion, Country Boy, West Sixth (show up on weekend for barrel room), Mirror Twin, LIfe. Beer Trappe for a very good bottle shop/beer bar. I can give you more details if you’d like.

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 16:27 Sat 11/19/2016

Originally posted by kramer

So, how was your visit? Don’t feel the need to provide any "rose-colored" feedback...