Who is left in Jersey?

Reads 3166 • Replies 31 • Started Saturday, June 11, 2016 3:27:59 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Rciesla
beers 5497 º places 3 º 21:08 Tue 6/14/2016

Originally posted by peepthesot
I’m still here in Jersey. Lots of new breweries opening up, but really none to get overly excited about. A handful are passable and turning out some well made stuff, some are fairly pedestrian, and most just basically appear to be homebrewers turned pro but still making inconsistent and off-tasting homebrew.
The few strong ones will survive and might stick around for the long haul, but most of the others will likely fold within a few years. There have already been one or two that lasted only a year or less.

just purely out of curiosity which have opened and closed already?

dmac
beers 6644 º places 35 º 23:19 Tue 6/14/2016

I know Turtle Stone didn’t make it.

Rciesla
beers 5497 º places 3 º 00:08 Wed 6/15/2016

^ 3 beers and 0 ratings, anyone want to be the top rater

peepthesot
beers 10 º places 6 º 20:23 Wed 6/15/2016

Originally posted by dmac

There was also Great Blue Brewing, a nano that was a part of the Suydam farm is Someset (I think was actually even the very first licensed nano in the state, around 5 years ago). The doors closed in less than a year. Too bad, too...they started experimenting with growing hops at Suydam Farm sometime before they got their license to brew commercially.

An early player in NJ (actually, the very first first micro/craft brewery in the state) that made some very authentic German style brews was Vernon Valley Brewing, which opened in the mid/late ’80s at the Great Gorge Resort. Ownership changed in the early ’90s when they became Clement’s Brewery, but since the brewer (the late Jay Misson) stayed on, they continued to make some amazing beers (on what was essentially a reproduction of an antique 19th century German system) up until their closure in the mid ’90s.

Another early craft player, one which closed after less than 2 years of operation, was Red Bank Brewing. It was short lived despite making what were probably the most authentically German tasting lagers around. Not sure if it was distribution issues that led to their closing, or perhaps intermittent problems they were said to have had with their kegging and bottling line that resulted briefly in QC problems. Too bad...at their best, Red Bank’s brews were (in many people’s opinion) exponentially better than the products of another NJ German style brewery that started up around the same time (early-mid ’90s) which, rather incredibly, is still in business.

spacecoyote
21:09 Wed 6/15/2016

Originally posted by peepthesot

There was also Great Blue Brewing, a nano that was a part of the Suydam farm is Someset (I think was actually even the very first licensed nano in the state, around 5 years ago). The doors closed in less than a year. Too bad, too...they started experimenting with growing hops at Suydam Farm sometime before they got their license to brew commercially.

An early player in NJ (actually, the very first first micro/craft brewery in the state) that made some very authentic German style brews was Vernon Valley Brewing, which opened in the mid/late ’80s at the Great Gorge Resort. Ownership changed in the early ’90s when they became Clement’s Brewery, but since the brewer (the late Jay Misson) stayed on, they continued to make some amazing beers (on what was essentially a reproduction of an antique 19th century German system) up until their closure in the mid ’90s.

Another early craft player, one which closed after less than 2 years of operation, was Red Bank Brewing. It was short lived despite making what were probably the most authentically German tasting lagers around. Not sure if it was distribution issues that led to their closing, or perhaps intermittent problems they were said to have had with their kegging and bottling line that resulted briefly in QC problems. Too bad...at their best, Red Bank’s brews were (in many people’s opinion) exponentially better than the products of another NJ German style brewery that started up around the same time (early-mid ’90s) which, rather incredibly, is still in business.

I realize that you’re most likely talking about High Point/Ramstein, but your closing sentiment immediately reminded me of Climax. How the fuck are they still in business?

From the scuttlebutt that I’ve heard, the only reason Climax is still around is to launder money for organized crime.

dmac
beers 6644 º places 35 º 23:57 Wed 6/15/2016

Isn’t Boaks calling it quit as well?

MaxxDaddy
beers 415 º places 32 º 07:25 Thu 6/16/2016

Isn’t Boaks calling it quit as well?

Yeah. They’re doing a goodbye event @ Shepherd and the Knucklehead. Evidently Hoboken is getting a Shepherd and the Knucklehead very soon.

vtafro
beers 7453 º places 92 º 10:45 Thu 6/16/2016

I’m still around.

dmac
beers 6644 º places 35 º 11:37 Thu 6/16/2016

Originally posted by vtafro
I’m still around.

I still read your user name as Vermont Afro. Hopefully I can convince someone to name a beer Vermont Afro one day. Maybe an overcarbonated east coast IPA that pours with a tremendous amount of afroesque head.

peepthesot
beers 10 º places 6 º 21:57 Thu 6/16/2016

Originally posted by spacecoyote
...I realize that you’re most likely talking about High Point/Ramstein, but your closing sentiment immediately reminded me of Climax. How the fuck are they still in business?
From the scuttlebutt that I’ve heard, the only reason Climax is still around is to launder money for organized crime.

No, I definitely wasn’t referring to High Point/Ramstein...in fact, everything I’ve tasted from them has actually been quite good (if perhaps a bit inconsistent).

As far as Climax goes, I honestly don’t really ’get it’ either... but I guess they must have some sort of following to have been able to hang around for 20 years. The Dad in the fther/son team that started the brewery apparently passed away recently. He was a very nice guy. His son strikes me as a bit self-congratulating and snarky (though big egos seem to be not at all uncommon in the world of craft brewing), but I ’ll be the first to give him props for being able to survive in the biz despite rather unrealistic pricing and a some inconsistencies in the product line (another common aspect in the craft world).
As far as ’scuttlebutt’ about organized crime associations, that did make me chuckle... but any buzz about such an association (which I’ve not heard before) is pretty comical and highly doubtful. Personality quirks aside (and face it...we all have some), they seem like fairly decent folks.