Are people using Ticks and Rates in this way... ???

Reads 3539 • Replies 29 • Started Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:13:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

malvrich
beers 931 º places 5 º 12:26 Thu 10/19/2017

Ticks are most important to me for a quick glance rating of beer that I had out since I only do full ratings at home.
I don't delete ticks when/if I later rate that beer (of course I may change it) and furthermore, I give a tick along with each rate unless I forget to, which serves sort of as backup data, should any rates be lost.

jercraigs
beers 14882 º places 1051 º 12:38 Thu 10/19/2017

The only use case I would have for ticks is if I can rate a beer with full attributes but no text and have the option to have it show up as "rated" with all of my other beers. Otherwise I don't think I will ever use them.

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 12:58 Thu 10/19/2017

Originally posted by Borresteijn
I use ticks when I'm not in the mood to give a full rating right away. I'll rate these later and delete the tick then. However, sometimes I forget to delete the tick. So then I have both a tick and rate for the same beer (until I notice it, then I'll fix it)

I do this as well, and quite often.

VDuquerroux
beers 5048 º places 230 º 13:35 Thu 10/19/2017

Just after buying beers, I tick them (one star). When I rate a beer, I delete the tick. If you look at my ticks, you know what I have in my "beer fridge".

gunnar
beers 14335 º places 1096 º 06:42 Fri 10/20/2017

Originally posted by VDuquerroux
Just after buying beers, I tick them (one star). When I rate a beer, I delete the tick. If you look at my ticks, you know what I have in my "beer fridge".

This is exactly my practice as well, keeping track of my cellar

Borresteijn
beers 11298 º places 404 º 07:44 Fri 10/20/2017

Originally posted by gunnar

If only there was a cellar function
Just kidding, adding beers to the cellar is way too much work. I wish they'd fix that again.

LazyPyro
beers 8175 º places 63 º 08:43 Fri 10/20/2017

Just kidding, adding beers to the cellar is way too much work. I wish they'd fix that again.

I began writing a Chrome extension a while ago that put add to cellar/wishlist buttons beneath the rate button on beer pages, saving the hassle of going to the distribution page. It was a bit rough but seemed to work well enough, though I must admit I don't really use the function myself so I'm not the best person to test it.

I agree though it shouldn't need browser extensions to make this easier, the buttons should just be there. Untappd recently reworked their lists functionality and it works really well. You can basically use it like a cellar list, then when you checkin a beer it will remove 1 (or however many) from your cellar. The same principle could easily be worked into RB, whereby when submitting a rating of a beer it would remove 1 of it from your cellar.

wheresthepath
beers 3446 º places 281 º 09:39 Fri 10/20/2017

I never use ticks, I only do full rates.

I've heard ticks spread nasty diseases anyway...

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 10:31 Fri 10/20/2017

Originally posted by LazyPyro

The same principle could easily be worked into RB, whereby when submitting a rating of a beer it would remove 1 of it from your cellar.

But what if you have a beer in your cellar, but you rate it at a friend who also happened to have a bottle or at a festival? It'll still be in your cellar but not showing on your cellar list.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 10:39 Fri 10/20/2017

Originally posted by joet
I know multiple ticks for the same beer is something that some people want but it's not very RateBeer to amass a lot of ticks for the same beer. We might create some feature in the future that allows this but I'm looking to do some clean up now. All comments welcome!

I don't use the ticks. Never did.

I hope we don't go that way (that way = amassing numerous ticks / ratings for the same beer)

If I rerate a beer I simply add it to my previous rating. If I change the numbers I will first add the old numbers to the old rating. This is interesting, because it tells me how my taste and beer knowledge have progressed or it tells me that there might be fluctuations in that beer's quality. Just a number count on a beer however seems completely useless to me. I couldn't care less how many times I've had a certain beer.