Barrel Aging

Reads 3501 • Replies 22 • Started Friday, November 3, 2017 10:43:30 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 19:25 Fri 11/3/2017

I'm thinking of at least one from Avery, and one from Sierra Nevada, though I know there's a couple others.
Definitely prefer bourbon, but I don't think Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey and the like add much if anything. Heaven Hill is good but EVERYONE uses those barrels, so what was great as a novelty a decade ago is overdone now.

Originally posted by Bill Becker
Originally posted by slowrunner77
I probably still prefer barrel aged to non barrel aged beers 2-1, maybe a little less...but back in the days before everyone and their mother was doing it, it was probably more like 90% of the time (9 to 1).
Definitely some that are over-barreled (though if it's a really good barrel and a lesser beer to start with, that's not always a bad thing) and definitely some that use lower quality barrels or barrels that don't seem to fit the beer.
I'm not a big fan of tequila barrels eithers, but I've had a few that really worked.
I'm finding I'm not willing to plunk down 2-5 X per pounce for a beer anymore just cause it says barreled on the label.

Upslope brewed a good tequila barrel aged beer and I'm not a fan of tequila.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 19:52 Fri 11/3/2017

I'm thinking of at least one from Avery, and one from Sierra Nevada, though I know there's a couple others.
Definitely prefer bourbon, but I don't think Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey and the like add much if anything. Heaven Hill is good but EVERYONE uses those barrels, so what was great as a novelty a decade ago is overdone now.
I probably still prefer barrel aged to non barrel aged beers 2-1, maybe a little less...but back in the days before everyone and their mother was doing it, it was probably more like 90% of the time (9 to 1).
Definitely some that are over-barreled (though if it's a really good barrel and a lesser beer to start with, that's not always a bad thing) and definitely some that use lower quality barrels or barrels that don't seem to fit the beer.
I'm not a big fan of tequila barrels eithers, but I've had a few that really worked.
I'm finding I'm not willing to plunk down 2-5 X per pounce for a beer anymore just cause it says barreled on the label.

Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey. Laws NO!

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 19:56 Fri 11/3/2017

Myrcenario or the other one?

weihenweizen
beers 6991 º places 700 º 07:21 Sat 11/4/2017

There's quite a few that I liked the non BA version more. BORIS is one example.

This brings up something interesting, is it poor conditioning or preference? I prefer Barrel-aged BORIS over regular BORIS fresh or aged. I think it could be just as much personal preference as much as conditioning. in addition I find DORIS to be over the top, either version, but I know other people that prefer DORIS to BORIS. It seems my biggest problem in addition to the Barrel type is leaving the beer in the barrel too long.

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 12:37 Sat 11/4/2017

The best Avery tequila ba beer I was thinking of was Fiel Al Estilo (4.3). There was another Avery that was a margarita sour, and the Sierra Nevada was Tequila Lime as well.
Probably the best was The rare Barrel No Salt (also a 4.3 from me).

Myrcenario or the other one?

cheap
beers 8855 º places 328 º 13:29 Sat 11/4/2017

Originally posted by weihenweizen
For me it does not always improve a beer. Do some of you think it is always an improvement or always makes the beer worse.

Its always worse

sloth
beers 3474 º places 102 º 15:45 Sat 11/4/2017

Straight wood is all ya need.

skeevn
beers 1 º 16:48 Sat 11/4/2017

tasted a lot of original vs the barrelaged one and most of the time the base beer is nowhere to be tasted or smelled.
might aswell buy me a bottle of the barrel it was in

FatPhil
beers 26062 º places 995 º 04:49 Sun 11/5/2017

"Barrel ruined" has become a phrase I use fairly frequently in reviews.

BlackHaddock
beers 15466 º places 1056 º 05:29 Sun 11/5/2017

Some styles suit BA, some don't. I prefer 'Red Wine' barrels to 'spirit' barrels for BA, adds depth without usually upping the ABV or imparting too much flavour.

<*))))))><