Beavertown Extravaganza 2018 - tickets now on sale

Reads 13163 • Replies 46 • Started Sunday, November 5, 2017 6:27:52 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Leighton
beers 33724 º places 1204 º 06:27 Sun 11/5/2017

Hi team.

In case anyone didn't flag it, tickets for Beavertown Extravaganza 2018 (yes, 2018) went on sale yesterday. The event will be the same time of year, 7-8 September. Seems like the only differences noted so far are that tickets are a little more expensive and the sessions are one hour shorter. I'm hoping that the higher cost might mean Beavertown will have breweries bring more beer, but that's just conjecture.

I think it took a while for tickets to sell out to the 2017 edition (maybe six months for the Saturday session, eight for the Friday?), but I'm guessing the 2018 fest will sell out faster.

More info here:

http://www.beavertownbrewery.co.uk/the-beavertown-extravaganza-2018/

Cheers.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 06:37 Sun 11/5/2017

I hope they have the vip section Colin suggested previously. Those who wanna pay more for better access should be allowed to. This isn't a communist country thank Christ.

Leighton
beers 33724 º places 1204 º 06:56 Sun 11/5/2017

Originally posted by Gary
I hope they have the vip section Colin suggested previously. Those who wanna pay more for better access should be allowed to. This isn't a communist country thank Christ.

The concept is not for a VIP 'section'; it's more like a VIP 'session', where one can pay extra to enter a fest before the 'normal' ticket holders. It's a fairly effective scheme, I think, but it didn't seem like Beavertown will offer this option.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 07:31 Sun 11/5/2017

Originally posted by Leighton

The concept is not for a VIP 'section'; it's more like a VIP 'session', where one can pay extra to enter a fest before the 'normal' ticket holders. It's a fairly effective scheme, I think, but it didn't seem like Beavertown will offer this option.
but Colin mentioned a hypothetical section that would have improved the last event where paying a bit extra allowed you isolated access away from mega long lines and the reported beer shortage and general chaos

Leighton
beers 33724 º places 1204 º 07:52 Sun 11/5/2017

but Colin mentioned a hypothetical section that would have improved the last event where paying a bit extra allowed you isolated access away from mega long lines and the reported beer shortage and general chaos

The way some festivals have done it is that you pay extra and you get into the festival, say, an hour earlier than 'normal' ticket holders. You don't get some roped-off section. You just get early access.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 08:28 Sun 11/5/2017

A rope section would be wanky. A stamp on the hand saying " beer elite "'would be fine.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:04 Mon 11/6/2017

the sessions are one hour shorter.

Bad decision. I made several posts of fairly detailed feedback on Facebook, and elsewhere, including saying I didn't think shorter sessions was the best way to go (and why). I didn't get any comment or other response from Beavertown. No reason why they should accord me special treatment of course, but they were quick to like or respond to fanboy posts. So I can't say I find this move surprising.

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 07:45 Mon 11/6/2017

Almost missed this thread. Well I've signed up for it again. Despite the odd gripe, I thought the vast majority of the organisation and the place where it was held was damn good. Even though it appeared I was not having a good time on the Friday. Location, transport, lack of queues to get in, bars serving before opening time, amount of seating, toilet provision, food provision, size of pours, quality of the beers all good.
No glass washing areas and beer running out, only 2 real problems.
One hour shorter for me will make little difference I think as I left after 5 hours of this year's events due to the lack of beer. If they sort the beer situation out then a full 6 hours rating should leave me drunk/palate wrecked.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 08:27 Mon 11/6/2017

Originally posted by harrisoni
If they sort the beer situation out then a full 6 hours rating should leave me drunk/palate wrecked.

Can't say I've noticed you failing to last the distance at Borefts. That's a far better model for festivals showcasing selected - if generally slightly less (over) hyped - brewers than Mikkeller or the short-session US festivals. In my estimation, obviously.

Leighton
beers 33724 º places 1204 º 08:28 Mon 11/6/2017

Originally posted by chriso
the sessions are one hour shorter.

Bad decision. I made several posts of fairly detailed feedback on Facebook, and elsewhere, including saying I didn't think shorter sessions was the best way to go (and why). I didn't get any comment or other response from Beavertown. No reason why they should accord me special treatment of course, but they were quick to like or respond to fanboy posts. So I can't say I find this move surprising.

I'm surprised to hear you say that, Chris. Most of the folks I spoke to were surprised at the length of the session, and bought it could be shorter. It certainly seemed like the long session exacerbated the shortage of beer issue.

Personally, I wish they would make it shorter, sell fewer tickets, and invite fewer breweries. Don't think I'm gonna get my way either (for the latter two points). As I said, though, I am hopeful - and I do expect - that breweries will have more beer next year.

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 08:44 Mon 11/6/2017

they've invited more breweries... though nowhere have they said if the volume per brewery will be same, more, or less. Last year I paid for a 7 hour session but left after 5½ due to lack of beer left. This year I've paid more for a 6 hour session, I don't mind if there's still beer for the whole 6 hours, won't be impressed if I leave early again (especially if it's over an hour early like this year)