Best Breweries in Japan 2016

Reads 5605 • Replies 66 • Started Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:20:03 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 08:21 Thu 11/10/2016

Great stuff. Thanks everyone. I guess I should do mine... I think there might be a new leader this year.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 16:17 Thu 11/10/2016

Fujizakura
Y Market
Shiga Kogen
Yorocco
Shonan
Ajb
Devil craft
Kyoto
Hitachino
Song Bird

Lots of other good breweries but I largely didn’t try their beers this year, or they didn’t put out anything new that I tried,so can’t put them on the list.

Tim

KyotoLefty
beers 15130 º places 1061 º 17:13 Thu 11/10/2016

Song Bird very impressive for sure.
AJB’s first appearance! Will that remind people to add it?
Not me.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 18:53 Thu 11/10/2016

Originally posted by KyotoLefty
Song Bird very impressive for sure.
AJB’s first appearance! Will that remind people to add it?
Not me.

One pint of beer bet that you will include them on your 2017 list. I know why people aren’t putting them on this list - I think largely they are swayed by the price vs. quality of the reserve society, but price, and reserve society exclusivity are two factors that should not be included in this. I would love to get the ever critical Chuwy’s opinion for 2016. I am willing to bet he would include them.

With brewery expansion early next year, as long as quality of non-barrel reserve beer remain the same, I think AJB will show up on a lot more lists next year.

2017 predictions

AJB will be back in the mix as a top ten for most people
George’s brewery makes the top 10
Kyoto rebounds up.
At least one new brewery that isn’t on people’s radar now will make an appearance.
Song Bird will jump - lack of distribution and inconsistency hold it back, IMO.
The most bold prediction - Coedo will make an appearance.
Ushitora (which I didn’t even list) will be on everyone’s list. I would have put #11, but just too much inconsistency in quality. Remind me a bit of Brewdog in that I never know if I am going to love the beer or regret buying it.

maekchu
beers 5670 º places 181 º 20:33 Thu 11/10/2016

1. Fujizakura
2, Shiga Kogen
3. Yorocco
4. Y Market
5. Kyoto Brewing
6. Daisen G Beer
7. Nihonkai Club
8. Ushi-Tora
9. Shonan
10. Baird

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 21:24 Thu 11/10/2016

I’ve pointed Chuwy in the direction of this but asked him not to check it before he makes his list. Curious to see if Tim is right. I like AJB much less this year than last year. Last year we had Imperiality and some great regular beers. This year has been a huge disappointment. Think even the regular beers have got worse. But like Tim said, I think next year from them could be interesting. Wish I had the same confidence though!
I really feel that I should have a Nihonkai pint before I make my list as I always love their beers but haven’t had one in a while.

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 00:50 Fri 11/11/2016

If I were to choose 2015 debut most improved brewery in 2016 it’s hands down Song Bird. They would probably be number 11 for me at this point. I considered them for top 10.
Devil craft really improved down the stretch for me this year as well.
It’ll be interesting to see what styles George makes and how those beers turn out for sure.
AJB had an up and down year for me this year but they would be in my top 15.
Daisen G started out strong with the Pils last winter and a few others, but they made some stinkers so they dropped pretty hard in my book.
I’m very much missing low abv beers here in the states now. Seems like every beer is 7-8 percent here.
Kyoto was solid to me this year with Nidomemashite. That was one of my favorite beers this year. They had a few other homeruns with Catcher in the Wheat and that Nagori-yuki.
I guess I’ll only be able to watch 2017 from abroad :(

KyotoLefty
beers 15130 º places 1061 º 11:17 Fri 11/11/2016

looking forward to more Songbird. I barely get them and although wildly interesting still a bit rough. Will get better, I am sure.

I also think that AJb will go higher. This year, not impressed, and like Will said the regulars too not so interesting.
Daisen has a couple great ones, the Dubbel and the CBM beer. A couple stinkers too, though, so for me, maybe top 15 but not 10. Pils great though.
I have had a couple great beers from Devil Craft but not like you cats in Tokyo. Mostly just ok.
Ushi, I agree with Tim, but fun enough and a few real winners, like the sour beer at Keyaki.
Coedo. Wow. I have no idea what they are planning, but interested in seeing it.

also want to add that I almost put Minoh in there. Pretty solid lately. A couple of their new beers were not good, but today had a coffee pa that was really great. They are definitely back on track.

biirusaikou
beers 2704 º places 329 º 18:45 Sat 11/12/2016

1 - YOROCCO
Most homeruns by a distance, Skywalker and Cultivator rule!
2 - KYOTO BREWING
Rarely exciting but most often balanced and consistent
3 - Y.MARKET
Usually love their dry hop bombs but seem to have faded recently
4 - SHIGA KOGEN
Disappointing year with average releases and mediocre bottling quality
5 - ONI DENSETSU
Fun pale ale series and outstanding Y.Market collabs
6 - THRASHZONE
Best value in Japan for hopheads, lacks consistency though
7 - DEVILCRAFT
Great addition to the local scene, solid IPA’s
8 - USHITORA
Clearly over-releases but has had a few yummy homeruns
9 - ZAKKOKU
Solid year-round lineup, some lovely seasonals as well
10-SONGBIRD
Lacks distribution but probably the most original and improved one

maekchu
beers 5670 º places 181 º 03:48 Sun 11/13/2016

I think we should get other people involved in this poll, just as Willis did last year. Maybe you could message Japan RB people who may not be subscribed to this forum group and get rankings from Japan-based non-RB people whose opinions you feel would be valuable for the poll. Otherwise we might not get a very healthy sample size. What do you think?