Cooking whole pig

Reads 2962 • Replies 19 • Started Sunday, April 23, 2017 7:14:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 19:14 Sun 4/23/2017

So thinking about doing this with a bunch of people over the July long weekend.

Thinking of building a spit but looking for advice from anyone who has done this before.

Don’t have a BBQ setup that can send a whole hog but open to constructing a temporary smoker if doable.

Thoughts?

PhillyBeer2112
beers 3499 º places 102 º 14:12 Mon 4/24/2017

Aaron Franklin has a great youtube vid for doing this.

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 08:10 Tue 4/25/2017

Awesome - will take a look!

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 08:36 Tue 4/25/2017

Rent a trailer cooker, you want gas, not charcoal. Ask how much the fee is to return the trailer uncleaned, and pay it. We used to do this overnight in college. It is a lot of work, a mess, and takes a long time.

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 10:09 Tue 4/25/2017

Originally posted by JK
Rent a trailer cooker, you want gas, not charcoal. Ask how much the fee is to return the trailer uncleaned, and pay it. We used to do this overnight in college. It is a lot of work, a mess, and takes a long time.

Why not charcoal? And ya most places here have a fee included if you don’t want to clean it.

And from doing more reading it definitely does not seem like something you do to relax - more something to try out.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 10:26 Tue 4/25/2017

Originally posted by pushkinwow
Originally posted by JK

Why not charcoal? And ya most places here have a fee included if you don’t want to clean it.

And from doing more reading it definitely does not seem like something you do to relax - more something to try out.

Charcoal is a lot of extra work and in my experience, extra expense.

It is relaxing enough of you have time. Probably want help to turn it every hour or two unless you put it on a split. One thing to keep in mind is that if your pork chop is not thoroughly cooked, you throw it back on the grill for two minutes. Quite another thing with the whole animal, and if you get this wrong your 12 pm bbq for 30 people turns into late afternoon dinner.

b3shine
beers 12189 º places 372 º 10:35 Tue 4/25/2017

Originally posted by JK
It is a lot of work, a mess, and takes a long time.

This. Either have the meal catered, or (if you want the experience) hire someone to cook it for you (which is what we do). It will consume your day, which isn’t how I’d want to spend my time when friends are in town.

boogychillin
beers 7 º places 1 º 10:38 Tue 4/25/2017

Pizza! Pizza! Pizza!

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 08:25 Wed 4/26/2017

Originally posted by boogychillin
Pizza! Pizza! Pizza!

Don’t forget the anchovies!

Sorry, never tried to grill a whole pig, and that does not seem like anything I’d want to hassle with. Before I attempted I this I would build an outdoor brick oven and make wood fired pizza’s. Now that’s a party.

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 13:07 Wed 4/26/2017

I’ve done a few whole hogs, but I did them buried for 24 hours in a pit lined with red-hot rocks. You’ll need about a ton of river rock to line the pit, about a cord of good hardwood to burn to get the rocks hot, some tin and a big tub full of wet burlap. Also it’s nice to have a small Kubota backhoe to do the digging and hoist the feast up out the hole the next day.

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 18:55 Wed 4/26/2017

Originally posted by b3shine
Originally posted by JK
It is a lot of work, a mess, and takes a long time.

This. Either have the meal catered, or (if you want the experience) hire someone to cook it for you (which is what we do). It will consume your day, which isn’t how I’d want to spend my time when friends are in town.

Those are some very good points...might need to reconsider...or at least start smaller and build up to it. I imagine if its something to do with friends over the course of a day or two it might be fun, but not on a holiday weekend with kids and families who are hungry!