Cuvee De Castleton

Reads 4147 • Replies 31 • Started Sunday, July 27, 2008 7:58:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

LilBeerDoctor
beers 7501 º places 775 º 22:50 Sun 7/27/2008

It’s pretty rare (sold out within 1 1/2 hours I heard), but for those nearby it was not that hard to obtain. Only 90 cases (1080 bottles) produced, so yeah, pretty limited (only 800-ish bottles sold at the brewery). Especially considering it was ONLY sold at the brewery (although maybe a few local shops will get lucky). Also it is awesome! I had a bottle yesterday and was blown away! The best CL I’ve ever had by far, an awesome sour ale!

I’m new to ratebeer and haven’t traded yet so I’m not setting up super rare trades, just trying to get things I can’t get over here and am super interested in. To me, its value is roughly similar to Isabelle Proximus, although Isabelle is significantly more expensive (because people had it shipped to them).

But anyway, it’s "rare" depending on the person. Some people aren’t interested in trading for super rare stuff, just unavailable stuff. Others probably have lots of ratings and want rarer stuff, which is fine too. Anyway, my point is that it’s not completely unattainable. I’m trading it for stuff that’s not terribly rare, just stuff I really want as a new ratebeerian.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12098 º places 543 º 22:52 Sun 7/27/2008

Originally posted by LilBeerDoctor
It’s pretty rare (sold out within 1 1/2 hours I heard), but for those nearby it was not that hard to obtain. Only 90 cases (1080 bottles) produced, so yeah, pretty limited (only 800-ish bottles sold at the brewery). Especially considering it was ONLY sold at the brewery (although maybe a few local shops will get lucky). Also it is awesome! I had a bottle yesterday and was blown away! The best CL I’ve ever had by far, an awesome sour ale!

I’m new to ratebeer and haven’t traded yet so I’m not setting up super rare trades, just trying to get things I can’t get over here and am super interested in. To me, its value is roughly similar to Isabelle Proximus, although Isabelle is significantly more expensive (because people had it shipped to them).

But anyway, it’s "rare" depending on the person. Some people aren’t interested in trading for super rare stuff, just unavailable stuff. Others probably have lots of ratings and want rarer stuff, which is fine too. Anyway, my point is that it’s not completely unattainable. I’m trading it for stuff that’s not terribly rare, just stuff I really want as a new ratebeerian.

Well, sort of... Proximus was 30 bucks a bottle plus shipping. Hopefully it’ll be as good as the Castleton, which is very, very different from batch one (and significantly better).

seaoflament
22:54 Sun 7/27/2008

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee

Well, sort of... Proximus was 30 bucks a bottle plus shipping. Hopefully it’ll be as good as the Castleton, which is very, very different from batch one (and significantly better).

They are both quite different but very tasty.

notalush
beers 7128 º places 452 º 22:54 Sun 7/27/2008

Agreed. I wasn’t a huge fan of the first batch, but what I sampled yesterday was fan-freakin’-tastic.

Schroppfy
beers 2362 º places 13 º 22:55 Sun 7/27/2008

Castleton, which is very, very different from batch one (and significantly better).

Really? Hmmm, did you up your rating?

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 22:55 Sun 7/27/2008

To me, its value is roughly similar to Isabelle Proximus, although Isabelle is significantly more expensive (because people had it shipped to them).

Isabelle was twice as much at the brewery release...$30

JoeMcPhee
beers 12098 º places 543 º 23:01 Sun 7/27/2008

Originally posted by Schroppfy
Castleton, which is very, very different from batch one (and significantly better).

Really? Hmmm, did you up your rating?

No, I’m going to wait until I sit down with a whole bottle. I’m basing this on the probably 2-3 oz sample that they were pouring at the brewery.

It’s much less sour, less lactic with less pineapple character and more apple/pear. Still wild and funky, but it’s much more balanced with the fruitiness of the barrel playing against the malts (which are much more prominent than in batch 1). Batch 1 was like an amped up Berliner Weiss, while this one is really elegant.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 00:46 Mon 7/28/2008

Batch 1 was like an amped up Berliner Weiss, while this one is really elegant.

I have to agree with Joe on this part here, a nice way of describing it. The way I put it is the first batch was very lemon juice like while this does not go in the same direction with the brett.

badbeer
beers 434 º 01:21 Mon 7/28/2008

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Batch 1 was like an amped up Berliner Weiss, while this one is really elegant.

I have to agree with Joe on this part here, a nice way of describing it. The way I put it is the first batch was very lemon juice like while this does not go in the same direction with the brett.

Anyone know any changes done? Did they use the same barrels again? Is CdC going to be like a Beatification type thing, as in, eventually 100% spontaneously fermented?

JoeMcPhee
beers 12098 º places 543 º 05:19 Mon 7/28/2008

I’m not sure, it was pretty busy on Saturday, so I don’t know that anyone had a chance to really chat with Scott much. I will say that they had it organized pretty well. Separate lines for those paying cash or credit and they got everyone in and out with very little fuss. The cooler with a free bottle of Castleton with glasses for the first person to arrive was a pretty cool touch as well.