Drinking warm, no really warm, beers

Reads 6683 • Replies 24 • Started Tuesday, November 7, 2017 4:16:26 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 19:40 Tue 11/7/2017

Heated? Quelque chose is the only one I had, I enjoyed the experience but haven't bothered repeating it. High room temp? I will drink a stout off the shelf with no issues normally.

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 22:36 Tue 11/7/2017

I had the beer cold and warmed, my preference was clearly for cold:
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/unibroue-quelque-chose/1924/1786/

In general, I have no desire for room temperature beer, although I like to sip on a cool barley wine as it slowly warms up.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 23:01 Tue 11/7/2017

I've had the mulled quelque chose and I liked it. To be honest, I don't mind Bigfoot at room temperature.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 23:19 Tue 11/7/2017

Originally posted by DCLawyer
BFM La Dragonne

This seems to very much love or hate it beer. I have not seen in for awhile, I wonder if it should be retired.

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 23:44 Tue 11/7/2017

Had liefmans gluhkriek recently. Much preferred it cold to warm personally

Travlr
beers 33910 º places 4591 º 01:29 Wed 11/8/2017

BFM La Dragonne

this. label says it's an "apres-ski" beer. We tried various ways of warming it up, but they method on the label resulted in the tastiest product

SinH4
beers 15467 º places 416 º 03:55 Wed 11/8/2017

BFM La Dragonne

This. And Glühkrieks.

Originally posted by JK
BFM La Dragonne

This seems to very much love or hate it beer. I have not seen in for awhile, I wonder if it should be retired.

I ticked it last christmas, and about 3 months ago, a Munich bottle shop added it to their range, so no. Definitely not retired yet.

But the last ratings from the US seem to come from 2014.

SilkTork
beers 7750 º places 111 º 05:27 Wed 11/8/2017

Cold temperature and carbonation aid refreshment.

Warm temperature and no carbonation aid flavour.

If I'm simply thirsty I'll happily drink a cool (not cold) lager or pale ale. Hopefully not too carbonated, but a little fizz can be attractive. For thirst quenching I like those fruit flavoured ciders straight from the fridge. Great fun.

If I want flavour, then it's room temperature. None of my beers go in the fridge. Not even lagers. But it's each to their own.

I've not tried a warmed up beer - ie, a beer higher than the ambient room temperature. I'm wondering what the advantage would be? I sometimes drink coffee that has cooled down, and I find that room temperature coffee tends to have more flavour than warm/hot coffee. But I like the associations and comfort I get from the warmth of a coffee, so prefer to drink it warm. I suppose a warmed up beer can offer the same comforts as a warm coffee or hot chocolate. There is already the comfort from the warmth of the alcohol in a strong beer, which we traditionally drink when the weather turns cold. But warming up the beer sounds interesting.

I'll give it a go.

rhoihessegold
beers 6641 º places 417 º 06:44 Wed 11/8/2017

We did a "Glühwein", so a mulled wine with a Doppelbock, added some spices and it was quite okay, better than many of the shitty Glühwein served on german Christmas markets.

rhoihessegold
beers 6641 º places 417 º 08:03 Wed 11/8/2017

Facebook just showed me a post from Schneider Weisse from yesterday about Glühbier!

Got to:

https://schneider-weisse.de/schneider-blog

And look for the article:

Sommelierwissen: Wie man sich für Glühbier erwärmt...

It is in German but the recipe should be easy to translate. They also wanna sell their own spice mix in the shop.