English Pale ale

Reads 6294 • Replies 59 • Started Thursday, November 2, 2017 1:22:02 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 19:26 Sat 11/4/2017

Originally posted by BlackHaddock
When I first started drinking (Fakenham, Norfolk; 1969) as an under age 17 year old (don't ask what I was doing out in rural Norfolk), all my mates and I would order a half-pint of draught Bitter and a bottle of Pale Ale. The reason being we got more than half a pint of draught in the glass and we thought we were being clever.

I started in 11972 and did exactly the same thing for exactly the same reasons. Except it was bormally Brown & Bitter. I think it was pretty standard practice for impoverished youth. Of course it relied on you having some rapport with the bar staff. And not having metered dispense. I wonder what happened to all those old diaphragm pumps? The other common trick was to have a pint to start with then ask them to "just put a half in there" for subsequent drinks - getting a fresh glass for every drink was not the norm back then.

wheresthepath
beers 3446 º places 281 º 03:20 Sun 11/5/2017

In addition to the whole pale ale malarky, there seems to be an increasing tendency for certain users to log UK bitters as amber ales simply because the brewer has said the beer is amber coloured.

For what it's worth, I like the idea of styles and sub-styles (as long as we get plenty of stats!) but suspect that this would be a long way down the list of current development priorities for Joe and co.

I always suspected that Chris was a time lord....

minutemat
beers 14700 º places 551 º 03:24 Sun 11/5/2017

Originally posted by ebone1988
Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by ebone1988
In the hierarchy of styles, you'd only have Lager, Ale, and Lambic. All beers are variations of that.

So in fact the yeast is the deciding factor?
Interesting and you aren't the only one with a similar opinion.
Oh and there arent 76 styles of beer. No matter what RB says
I once promised never to contribute to a beer style subject forum thread again but i just cant help myself.

I mean one is top-fermented, one is bottom fermented, and one is open-fermented. I agree with classifying the different styles, some seem ambiguous.

Then you have a hybrid style such as a 'California Common', which uses bottom-fermenting yeast that has adapted to being brewed at an ale temperature, and results in a beer with more in common with a pale or golden ale. In general though, I agree.

danlo
beers 11298 º places 300 º 04:02 Sun 11/5/2017

Originally posted by danlo

IPA is also a catch all style that works. Doesn't matter the country, the hops. The same could be done for Pale Ales.

Apart from English IPA which are classed as Premium bitter/ESB on ratebeer, which is a trademark infringement in the UK apparently

Oooh interesting. How would you describe or identify an English IPA?

https://www.craftbeer.com/styles/english-style-india-pale-ale
The English IPA is characterized by stiff English-style hop character (earthy, floral) and increased alcohol content. English yeast lends a fruity flavor and aroma. Different from its American counterpart, this style strikes a balance between malt and hops for a more rounded flavor. 6-14 SRM (Color), 35-63 IBU (Bitterness), 5-7% ABV (Alcohol)

Examples being:
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/worthingtons-white-shield/286/
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/feral-english-ipa/492899/

nuplastikk
beers 9848 º places 73 º 16:28 Sun 11/5/2017

What is the difference between an Extra Pale Ale and an English Pale Ale?

allmyvinyl
beers 19453 º places 21 º 16:55 Sun 11/5/2017

One is extra pale, one has a stiff upper lip.

Originally posted by nuplastikk
What is the difference between an Extra Pale Ale and an English Pale Ale?

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 04:29 Mon 11/6/2017

Originally posted by wheresthepath

Doubly so as I originally typed 1872, then edited it.

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 04:53 Mon 11/6/2017

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by wheresthepath

Doubly so as I originally typed 1872, then edited it.

I thought you were just being very specific

11th September 1972

SilkTork
beers 7751 º places 111 º 05:35 Mon 11/6/2017

I agree with everything that's been said here.

Apart from the stuff I disagree with.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 06:32 Mon 11/6/2017