Gueuze/Lambic Tasting

Reads 6290 • Replies 49 • Started Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:20:04 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hwwty4
beers 1 º places 1 º 08:20 Thu 1/12/2012

We talked briefly about this at the Bourbon tasting but Eugene and I would like to get a Gueuze/Lambic tasting together. We were thinking about Saturday March 3rd probably around 7ish. I would be more then willing to host, but I can only handle about 10 people at my house.

Thinks I can bring -

08 Cantillon Cuvee des Champions
05 Cantillon Iris (375)
11 Cantillon Classic Gueuze
07 Cantillon Vigneronne

We were also thinking about maybe doing some sort of blind gueuze tasting as well.

JohnF
08:26 Thu 1/12/2012

Since you listed Vigneronne, is fruit lambic in scope?

I don’t have anything crazy or rare but am interested. Have Cantillon Classic Gueuze, Lou Pepe Gueuze, 3F Gueuze, 3F Schaasrsbeeksrerefe Kriek, Some Hansons fruit stuff, Tilquin Gueuze.

If there is a blind component it would be interesting if some homebrews (Bill/Chris?) were included to see/confirm if it is obvious and we can call them out easily.

csbosox
beers 1229 º places 13 º 08:59 Thu 1/12/2012

I’m down. Blind would be fun, it usually makes one pay more attention to the beer rather than the bawdy conversation. I think the inclusion of some homebrewed versions would be great.

hwwty4
beers 1 º places 1 º 09:03 Thu 1/12/2012

I thought we might do the unfruited lambics/gueuzes first and then we could do the krieks/fruited lambics afterwards. Just my thought.

The only lamibesque I still have is a grapefruit lambic, though, I think its old enough that the vast majority of the fruit has fallen off. The grapefruit wasn’t ever extremely potent anyways. I think i still have 2 12ozers left, though I would have to check.

beastiefan2k
beers 5027 º places 294 º 11:25 Thu 1/12/2012

It might be a good idea just to do gueze or unblended lambic first blind. The idea there is nothing added to the lambic. Or we could just do gueze only for the blind tasting. Afterwards, we can just drink anything else people bring.

To maintain blindness I will just say I have 3 or 4 beers.

That puts us at least with this lineup (using only 750s or 2 x 375mL):
Cantillon Cuvee des Champions
Cantillon Classic Gueuze
Cantillon Lou Pepe Gueuze
3F Gueuze
Tilquin Gueuze
Surprise
Surprise
Surprise

This also leaves some locally available guezes for anyone to bring that includes Rene Cuvee and St. Louis Fond Tradition. Or other available guezes such as Oud Beersel, Lindeman’s regular gueze, Boon Oude and MF, and Girardin.

If we wanted to do the blind tasting we would want to cap it somewhere b/w 6-8 people. I don’t think it would be as good to blindly taste less than 3oz of beer. Or we could just do a tasting and not care about all this. Either is fine.

TheJermis
12:01 Thu 1/12/2012

I’m definitely interested. I’ve got some goodies stashed away.

jtrockchalk
12:40 Thu 1/12/2012

I don’t have anything for the gueuze part but I’ll bring a bottle of 06 LP Kriek for the after party:-)

jtrockchalk
12:41 Thu 1/12/2012

Originally posted by hwwty4
I thought we might do the unfruited lambics/gueuzes first and then we could do the krieks/fruited lambics afterwards. Just my thought.

The only lamibesque I still have is a grapefruit lambic, though, I think its old enough that the vast majority of the fruit has fallen off. The grapefruit wasn’t ever extremely potent anyways. I think i still have 2 12ozers left, though I would have to check.

I think I’ve got 1 bottle left if you want me to bring it too.

Bobbydigi
places 1 º 14:18 Thu 1/12/2012

You know I’m in.

I can bring any of the following.

Armand’4 - all 4 seasons
3F Vintage Gueuze 07 and 08
3F Gueuze not sure of years
Cantillon Classic
Cantillon Classic ’97 - I’d bring if something equally crazy comes.
Fou Foune 09 and 11
Girardin 1882 Black Label
Tilquin 750ml

foppa78
places 12 º 14:58 Thu 1/12/2012

Dam Bob

Bobbydigi
places 1 º 19:34 Thu 1/12/2012

Originally posted by foppa78
Dam Bob

I’ve kind of given up on the cellaring thing. I just want to drink them all! You should try and make it man.