Im curious what people want from the New App

Reads 4696 • Replies 45 • Started Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:37:09 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 12:41 Fri 10/27/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
2) apps like twitter seem to deal with notifications, that the website site doesn't. I also find app easier to use on phone,but equally totally happy with bbc mobile websites.

Twitter and Facebook both have various notification settings on their websites. They may not involve as much phone beeping at you every two minutes as the app, but they're there. As far as Twitter goes there's not a whole lot of website to strip down anyway.

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 12:42 Fri 10/27/2017

Originally posted by blipp
I still have so many questions...

For situation 1 you still need internet to look up the beers, right? I don't understand how offline ratings helps here, when you have reliable internet available.

For situation 2, same as above. If you don't have any internet available, how are you looking up beers to enter notes for?

For 3, I guess I understand this. One less step where you need to rely on an internet connection in you're in a situation with spotty internet. That makes sense.

For 4, I take it this is the situation I described above? You pull of the rating page before going out, enter rating notes while you're out, and upload them when you get home. As much as I get this, I'd imagine there is a very very small subset of people that would do something like this.

For 5, if the beer isn't in the database (which you had to look up using internet) how is taking notes in the app different than just taking notes in a "Notes" app?

I definitely believe you that there is an inner-circle or super raters that rely on "offline" rating, but I would imagine for the vast vast majority of users it's just not a priority, and not something they would regularly use.

1) its the fact you can keep 10 beers open half way through ratings. at the same time. Rather than a data issue.
Those 10 beers appear at top of my list anything i write isnt at risk of being lost closed accidently and is easier to manage as i can read all 10 beers names at once. rather than having 10 tabs open which is much harder to open

2) you dont need internet to know a beer name, it on the Beer board /tap handle
So im guessing that i need Beer X as it sounds New. SO i just create a Beer entry and take notes. When data comes. I hit search and it does search and suggests beers it could be. I think link my rating to the one thats correct.

4) is a low use case even for me, but i have done it.

5) The main difference. It the app is designed for off line notes. So its got, a Name Field, all the scores, and the review space. As said in 2. Once beer is in DB. The Search button finds the beer it couldnt before. Then i hit link, and upload. SO need to cut and paste. No need to set scores, IT justs just search - link - upload

How often do you take notes on beer not in DB, if its a lot i pretty damn certain you would find that easier with Erics app.

Also its a feature the Web doesnt offer, so for those using the app, its probably higher usefulness than you suspect, and for many probably the main reason for using an app.

But who really knows

Got it. So essentially you can create a beer rating in the app, and then later link it to an actual entry in the database. You're not pulling up a specific beers page and entering a rating that is later uploaded. That makes sense

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 12:44 Fri 10/27/2017

How often do you take notes on beer not in DB, if its a lot i pretty damn certain you would find that easier with Erics app.

A good chunk of the beers I rate are new entries that I have to add, since I'm one of only a handful of active raters in San Diego and we have like 150 breweries.

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 12:54 Fri 10/27/2017

Originally posted by blipp

Got it. So essentially you can create a beer rating in the app, and then later link it to an actual entry in the database. You're not pulling up a specific beers page and entering a rating that is later uploaded. That makes sense

A good chunk of the beers I rate are new entries that I have to add, since I'm one of only a handful of active raters in San Diego and we have like 150 breweries.

Yeah thats It. Only real difference is you search / link to the Beer After the Review, rather than before hand. Meaning that if you have no data, dont want to, or beer doesnt exist. You can wait till the issue is solved and with a few clicks upload

But if you rate a lot of NEW beers, dont want to use Paper, and would find it easier to add beer to DB at home on PC. Then Erics app if you are on android is worth trying till the Offline stuff hits the new app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ratebeer.android&hl=en

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 13:01 Fri 10/27/2017

I have an iPhone 4. I'll just stick to rating in the Notes app.

stevoj
beers 16125 º places 1243 º 13:27 Fri 10/27/2017

The old "Nearby" capability from Eric's app

borre_m
beers 2496 º places 54 º 13:59 Fri 10/27/2017

I'm missing the barcode scanner and offline ratings.

tmrmwel
beers 4375 º places 65 º 14:07 Fri 10/27/2017

Everything cgarvieuk said.

Also with offline ratings, it's easy to make fast, preliminary ratings at festivals etc, and finishing them afterwards. Very convenient.

Nothing to do with data usage at all.

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 15:59 Fri 10/27/2017

Originally posted by tmrmwel
Everything cgarvieuk said.

Also with offline ratings, it's easy to make fast, preliminary ratings at festivals etc, and finishing them afterwards. Very convenient.

Nothing to do with data usage at all.

Same here, although data usage does still matter - there's still dead spots out there. But the ability to start a rate and have your unfinished work survive a reboot, or start a rate even when the beer's not yet on the site (or you can't look it up right now), yes that's key.

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 16:14 Fri 10/27/2017

-Same rating options as in the web app (check?)
-Fully functional search in all alphabets with a barcode scanner an option to add the barcode / add beer based on similar GTINs. Ability to add beers, breweries etc.
-Places near me place add/rating if necessary, but ya, places near me.
-My friends stuff after this is done. In a very later version, the ability for liking rakes tagging badges whatevs. But first, the things above, to make it a contender.
-That's it? For all the stats et al, the site's there.