Justifying Pricing of Beer by Tomme Arthur

Reads 13647 • Replies 81 • Started Saturday, October 27, 2007 5:45:55 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DonMagi
beers 5592 º places 50 º 08:33 Sun 10/28/2007

Two points here:

First price of a beer is not important to me at all, if i see a beer i havnt had i’ll almost always buy it regardless. In saying that iv never bought a bottle to take away thats cost more than 11 euro’s. Like if i were to walk down and find 1979 cantillon framboos and bass kins ale 1902 going for £50 a bottle in a shop id buy both without thinking about it.

Second, more important thing. Im glad there are both 750’s and 330/375ml bottles. Like i drink mainly cask ales here, but when i get bottled stuff for ratings i’ll generally end up having them myself or with pauline, who doesnt drink anything like as much as me. Therefor 330ml bottle a great. However if i were going to a tasting or just somewhere that people might want to taste the beer also, id defo want 750’s. Its just scotland is such a beer desert an peopl i know who like good beer are hard to get ahold of cause we’re so busy that it rarely happens.
As for caps and corks. Theres rally no nee to cork a beer unless you intend and expect customers to age it for a great length of time, im talking 10yrs+, as theres little chance a cap is going to let in too much badness in a few years like. Even in saying that iv had capped beers that have been 30yrs old and although super heavily oxidised still very drinkable and tasty.

chin chin

Tom

eboats
beers 1083 º places 32 º 08:55 Sun 10/28/2007

Originally posted by dirty_martini
the thing about price is people have no problem paying 100s of dollars for a 750 of wine...but cant imagine paying $15-30 for the same sized bottle of beer. why is that?? especially when considering some of these beers are taking anywhere from a year on to make.

the only difference between wine and beer in my eyes is that wine has a little more lasting power...meaning you can open a bottle, recork it, drink more later...whereas beer is an immediate thing. must be consumed all at once.

what i have more of an issue with is the overpricing of your everyday kinda beers. i hear about the price of three floyds beers all the time...i realize they use a lot of hops, but there is no reason a bottle of dreadnaught should retail for the same price as an lost abbey angels share, cuvee de tomme or any of the russian river barrel aged beers

I wouldn’t pay near that amount for a bottle of wine. Just because some people pay a lot for wine doesn’t justify anything.

Probiere
beers 992 º places 46 º 09:20 Sun 10/28/2007

Originally posted by eboats
Originally posted by dirty_martini
the thing about price is people have no problem paying 100s of dollars for a 750 of wine...but cant imagine paying $15-30 for the same sized bottle of beer. why is that?? especially when considering some of these beers are taking anywhere from a year on to make.

the only difference between wine and beer in my eyes is that wine has a little more lasting power...meaning you can open a bottle, recork it, drink more later...whereas beer is an immediate thing. must be consumed all at once.

what i have more of an issue with is the overpricing of your everyday kinda beers. i hear about the price of three floyds beers all the time...i realize they use a lot of hops, but there is no reason a bottle of dreadnaught should retail for the same price as an lost abbey angels share, cuvee de tomme or any of the russian river barrel aged beers

I wouldn’t pay near that amount for a bottle of wine. Just because some people pay a lot for wine doesn’t justify anything.

I’ve stopped going after a lot of the must-have beers. I’m poor and I’ve already got a decent stash to drink, plus I can always brew. I think that beer should be marginally more expensive across the board to reflect the brewers’ work, but $100+ bottle of beer I am never going to buy. Just like with wine, beyond a certain point more money =/= improved taste experience.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 09:56 Sun 10/28/2007

Originally posted by artusory
Originally posted by JK
I had no idea a corked 750 raised the price of beer so much. Brewers should stop using them and do the Jolly Pumpkin style 750 with a cap.

Unfortunately, the brown 750s that JP uses are no longer available.

I would like to know more

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 09:58 Sun 10/28/2007

Originally posted by CaptainCougar
I challenge you to find me a beer that is available in 750ml or 22oz bottles and in 12oz bottles where the price of two 12oz bottles is actually more that the cost of a single, larger bottle.

Allagash’s entire line of regular releases. Ommegang’s Three Philosophers, Rare Vos and Hennepin.

DonMagi
beers 5592 º places 50 º 09:59 Sun 10/28/2007

Originally posted by jjpm74
Originally posted by CaptainCougar
I challenge you to find me a beer that is available in 750ml or 22oz bottles and in 12oz bottles where the price of two 12oz bottles is actually more that the cost of a single, larger bottle.

Allagash’s entire line of regular releases. Ommegang’s Three Philosophers, Rare Vos and Hennepin.

I have to second that, like everything here in 750’s will be more expoensive that 330’s. Duvel, chimay, meantime....

Styles
beers 2013 º places 1 º 10:23 Sun 10/28/2007

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Originally posted by JK
I had no idea a corked 750 raised the price of beer so much. Brewers should stop using them and do the Jolly Pumpkin style 750 with a cap.

The brown 750’s (capped instead of corked) have been dicontinued by every bottle company that makes them. 1 company told Ron they would still make them if he was willing to put down a down payment, (something outragous, like 40 or 60k or something). Of hand the company I know that use these are, JP, DFH, Cpt. Lawrence, Iron Hill, maybe the Bluegrass company? Can’t remember.

Bottles can still be had in green, but we all know the potential problems they pose. So as of last time I was at JP, Ron wasn’t sure what he was going to do yet.

I am saving these for HB purposes, anybody who wants to save for me, I will trade some beer in return, or whatever we can work out. Know of 1 other RBeerian saving as well. lmk.

goldtwins
beers 4319 º places 5 º 10:25 Sun 10/28/2007

Originally posted by Styles
Originally posted by JK

The brown 750’s (capped instead of corked) have been dicontinued by every bottle company that makes them. 1 company told Ron they would still make them if he was willing to put down a down payment, (something outragous, like 40 or 60k or something). Of hand the company I know that use these are, JP, DFH, Cpt. Lawrence, Iron Hill, maybe the Bluegrass company? Can’t remember.

Bottles can still be had in green, but we all know the potential problems they pose. So as of last time I was at JP, Ron wasn’t sure what he was going to do yet.

I am saving these for HB purposes, anybody who wants to save for me, I will trade some beer in return, or whatever we can work out. Know of 1 other RBeerian saving as well. lmk.

Capt. Lawrence had to go to the green for their last release.

Styles
beers 2013 º places 1 º 10:32 Sun 10/28/2007

Originally posted by goldtwins
Originally posted by JK

Capt. Lawrence had to go to the green for their last release.

Guess that confirms it. Sucks for Ron as around here most JP stuff is literally top shelf, last thing I’d want is my brew on the top shelf in green.

Probiere
beers 992 º places 46 º 10:36 Sun 10/28/2007

Originally posted by JK

Heavyweight used to use them as well.