Lambic, A topic of discussion…

Reads 15049 • Replies 101 • Started Monday, May 15, 2006 12:07:31 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Joeh
beers 2049 º places 49 º 09:28 Wed 5/17/2006

Originally posted by Oakes
Originally posted by SilkTork
Constantly narrowing the flavour profile of beers, and then demanding that brewers make all beers within that narrow flavour profile is not doing anyone any favours.

Then you’d be okay with Stella and Budweiser being called "real ale"? After all, no need to keep things unnecessarily narrow. In fact, words really shouldn’t have definitions at all. Travel so rabbit bland fart argh Norwegian rummage.

That’s a rather spurious comment Oakes. Real ale refers to the way beer is produced and served rather than a specific style, as you know.

What we really don’t need is an American distributor with vested interests in certain brands of lambic taking producers he doesn’t distribute for to task over their beers. By all means write he should about lambic if he wants, but what about calling Girardin and Hanssens only ‘somewhat’ traditional and Boon not mentioned as a traditional producer at all? No mention either that there are people within Belgian brewing who aren’t exactly taken with Cantillon and won’t stock the stuff. I don’t think I even need to mention anything about his range of British beers.

You know, I’m not even saying that Shelton would actually slam other beers to boost the sales of his own, but when it’s your job to promote a specific narrow range of beers there is no way you can objectively write about what’s good and what’s not.

Oh, and Brussels is quite capable of enforcing their own standards on naming of regional specific products, they certainly know how to enforce it on the rest of the continent.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12096 º places 543 º 09:31 Wed 5/17/2006

This is starting to look like OT-M

Joeh
beers 2049 º places 49 º 09:49 Wed 5/17/2006

Since we are in the business in rejecting anything not made in a totally traditional way, why does the Shelton Brothers website class the nasty pasteurised bitters they sell as cask ales?

I like the irony of that.

TAR
beers 2821 º places 34 º 10:33 Wed 5/17/2006

Shelton states: "One or two of the beers of Girardin and Hanssens are, well, mostly traditional."

What exactly does he mean? How are Girardin and Hanssen’s "mostly traditional"? Hanssens Oude Kriek seems to have become a bit sweeter as of late, but is it sweetened? Perhaps Hanssens is "mostly traditional" because they do not brew the beer themselves?

heykevin
beers 1281 º 11:00 Wed 5/17/2006

Originally posted by TAR
Shelton states: "One or two of the beers of Girardin and Hanssens are, well, mostly traditional."

What exactly does he mean? How are Girardin and Hanssen’s "mostly traditional"? Hanssens Oude Kriek seems to have become a bit sweeter as of late, but is it sweetened? Perhaps Hanssens is "mostly traditional" because they do not brew the beer themselves?

He did list De Cam as traditional even though they are strictly blenders.

cheerio,

Kevin

JorisPPattyn
admin
beers 14328 º places 93 º 11:13 Wed 5/17/2006

cheerio,

Kevin

So?

Schroppfy
beers 2362 º places 13 º 11:24 Wed 5/17/2006

I think you’ll read something from Dan re: pasteurization of Girardin if I recall some older BBB postings, and the Hanssen’s issue may be sweetening, as it is (for Dan anyway) with Boon.

Originally posted by TAR

heykevin
beers 1281 º 11:25 Wed 5/17/2006

Originally posted by JorisPPattyn

cheerio,

Kevin

So?

I said this in reference to this part of Jeff’s comment:

Perhaps Hanssens is "mostly traditional" because they do not brew the beer themselves?

TAR
beers 2821 º places 34 º 11:42 Wed 5/17/2006

One question: What if you do all the aging and blending, but the beer is brewed off premise? Are you still to be considered traditional?

Schroppfy
beers 2362 º places 13 º 11:49 Wed 5/17/2006

Originally posted by TAR
One question: What if you do all the aging and blending, but the beer is brewed off premise? Are you still to be considered traditional?

Wouldn’t that be De Cam? I think Dan’s answer would be completely yes.