Looking for Beer recommendations for Thanksgiving

Reads 2405 • Replies 17 • Started Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:08:25 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 18:30 Tue 9/13/2016

Yeah those 3L bottles are always stupid expensive.

I’d shoot for a local Oktoberfests if they’re still available, maybe a local saison/light Belgian option, and then a porter/stout.

I don’t know the crowd, but I’ve generally found that showing up with stuff that is either expensive or has too intense/weird of a flavor profile is a bad idea for a larger crowd.

muzzlehatch
beers 4975 º places 327 º 18:34 Tue 9/13/2016

Originally posted by StefanSD
Originally posted by muzzlehatch
My first impulse is to just agree with slowrunner, and really those are good choices; I’ve had many a Belgian Red with Thanksgiving turkey, and Raspberry Tart with Christmas ham, those are the typical choices. But I’d also possibly consider a strong, sweet Belgian like Cuvee Van De Keizer - usually don’t like beers that sweet with food myself, but for whatever reason they seem to work with something like turkey & stuffing. I wouldn’t turn down Orval though - but if you’re serving a lot of people you might be better off with big bottles. A store near me currently has a 3l bottle of St Bernardus 12 on display...

How much is a 3L of St Bernardus 12. Gotta be some serious $$$.

I think it was $229 but I couldn’t be sure - small label several feet away, old eyes. I’d never buy something like that - not in my financial situation anyway - but I love looking at them.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 09:10 Wed 9/14/2016

My first impulse is to just agree with slowrunner, and really those are good choices; I’ve had many a Belgian Red with Thanksgiving turkey, and Raspberry Tart with Christmas ham, those are the typical choices. But I’d also possibly consider a strong, sweet Belgian like Cuvee Van De Keizer - usually don’t like beers that sweet with food myself, but for whatever reason they seem to work with something like turkey & stuffing. I wouldn’t turn down Orval though - but if you’re serving a lot of people you might be better off with big bottles. A store near me currently has a 3l bottle of St Bernardus 12 on display...

I think it was $229 but I couldn’t be sure - small label several feet away, old eyes. I’d never buy something like that - not in my financial situation anyway - but I love looking at them.

Only time I have had 3L (or greater) was when a brewer was showing off. You could likely buy a case of 750s for less.

muzzlehatch
beers 4975 º places 327 º 09:28 Wed 9/14/2016

Originally posted by fly

Only time I have had 3L (or greater) was when a brewer was showing off. You could likely buy a case of 750s for less.

Not quite, but close - I think 750s of St B are around $20 in this neck of the woods, so a case would be just slightly higher than that bottle. But yeah, the markup is ridiculous - of course you get a nice wood case for display, and maybe you get a couple of glasses, I dunno. But larger format bottles are clearly designed for the rich and stupid or show-offs generally. I think the only bottle over 1l that I ever bought was a 1.5l of Anchor Our Special Ale one year that my brother and I drank, and I’m pretty sure it was in January and heavily discounted - still more than a 6-pack though by a good margin.

obguthr
beers 11709 º places 22 º 12:55 Wed 9/14/2016

Saison Dupont. I love it with turkey, stuffing, and gravy.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 13:17 Wed 9/14/2016

Orval and classic dry or herbaceous saisons are always among the best matches for turkey day dinners, where there are so many different things on the plate at once.

Lighter APAs and pils work really well, too.

It’s hard to swap in a berliner to cut the potatoes and gravy and a porter to accent the dark meat and a doppelbock or quad with dessert, even though I might be tempted to make those pairings. Holiday dinners are by nature chaotic (and hopefully fun), so buying one versatile beer in quantity is usually the easiest way to make it work.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 13:21 Wed 9/14/2016

^ good call(s)