More Help Please (CGarvieuk October Trip) Plus my Scheduele

Reads 3601 • Replies 42 • Started Thursday, September 7, 2017 2:20:12 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cgarvieuk
beers 37688 º places 457 º 13:03 Sun 10/1/2017

Originally posted by j12601
I'm certainly up for some before dinner brewery crawling.

Also, did I get counted as three people? It's just my wife and I. Was curious how the 9 count was arrived at.

Im Four, Andy 3 and You 2. = 9

Cool, Want to suggest a meeting point and time?
Ive scheduled nothing for that day yet other than Dinner

j12601
beers 14608 º places 583 º 13:40 Sun 10/1/2017

Ah, gotcha. I'm currently out on some bar and brewery visits near me, can look to put together some options for places to go once I'm home.

cgarvieuk
beers 37688 º places 457 º 03:07 Mon 10/2/2017

Ok on the Sake. I looked at online menu. Thought id be able to do research but It seems to only give the Sake producer name. Anyone been here before and know how easy the sake are to ID.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 13:13 Mon 10/2/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Ok on the Sake. I looked at online menu. Thought id be able to do research but It seems to only give the Sake producer name. Anyone been here before and know how easy the sake are to ID.

They give you brewery and sake name and style. They'll also show you the bottle if you want, but good luck reading the japanese.

cgarvieuk
beers 37688 º places 457 º 13:23 Mon 10/2/2017

Originally posted by puzzl

They give you brewery and sake name and style. They'll also show you the bottle if you want, but good luck reading the japanese.

Photo and KyotoLefty is the final straw-)
lots of UK ones have an import label that often really really helps.

But im trying to draw up a lost of at least some ive not had as a starting point :-) its an amazing list

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 15:11 Tue 10/3/2017

Might be a good time for an advanced warning that you can't get any cell signal in there and there is no wifi

cgarvieuk
beers 37688 º places 457 º 01:29 Fri 10/6/2017

Originally posted by puzzl
Might be a good time for an advanced warning that you can't get any cell signal in there and there is no wifi

OH bugger.
Just as well im trying to draw up my sake preference list :-)
before getting there

cgarvieuk
beers 37688 º places 457 º 01:31 Fri 10/6/2017

Ah, gotcha. I'm currently out on some bar and brewery visits near me, can look to put together some options for places to go once I'm home.

Not to rush you or anything :-P but im started to get excited

A start time and location is all i really need. but if i know where were planning i can avoid them saturday if ive time to head to any :-D

cgarvieuk
beers 37688 º places 457 º 06:17 Sun 10/8/2017

Well just finished all my Sake Research. got a good list of possibles. ANd there a possibility that three of them are in RB top5 as well :-)

j12601
beers 14608 º places 583 º 17:55 Sun 10/8/2017

Not to rush you or anything :-P but im started to get excited

A start time and location is all i really need. but if i know where were planning i can avoid them saturday if ive time to head to any :-D

Sorry about the delay. Forgot I made that post until I saw it again.

For bars there are certainly some Manhattan options, some I've been to, some I haven't. But not a lot of brewery options in Manhattan. More of those are located in the Brooklyn area.

Bar options in Manhattan:
As Is - 734 10th Ave. I've yet to get here, but their lists always look good.
Blind Tiger - An old favorite, cozy and with a great list. I haven't been in a while, but this was THE place to go for a long time.

Rattle'N'Hum - Last time I was here I was not as impressed as I used to be. Still has a decent beer list, but not what it once was.
Ginger Man - Huge list, decent food, and about three blocks from Rattle. I would (and do) go here over Rattle.

Brooklyn - I'll try and group things that are somewhat near each other.

Tørst - Well curated beer list, cool environment, tasty food - on the pricey side.
Greenpoint Beer And Ale
- Solid German style beers, and some more adventurous things as well.

Folksbier Braurei - Only been here once, but I'm itching to go back. Very good beers, low key place to hang out, and not super far from some other breweries.
Other Half - I've yet to go into their new space, so I can't comment on if it's actually large enough to hold a decent number of people or not.
Threes - Great beers, nice place to hang out.

Those three all make solid beer and are walking distance* (7 minutes between Folksbier and Other Half, then a half hour walk between Other Half and Threes) from each other. So doing those three I'd propose something like:
11AM - Folksbier
12:30 - Other Half
2:30 - Threes

Further out in Brooklyn, would be Interboro, which is a 25 minute walk from KCBC. I've had good beer from both, but haven't been to either brewery yet.

LIC/Queens area
Fifth Hammer - They just opened this weekend, owners and brewers are people most of the NY crew know and love. I couldn't make it down this weekend for the grand opening, but might be neat to check out.
LIC Beer Project - 20 minute walk from Fifth Hammer, amazing beers.

There are a few others in the LIC area as well whose beers I'm not super keen on, but decent to check out for ticking. Big Alice, Rockaway. (Continued)