Non english letters

Reads 4852 • Replies 34 • Started Tuesday, October 17, 2017 3:42:51 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 13:29 Wed 10/18/2017

Originally posted by FatPhil
This should be scriptable, and find all the low-hanging and most egregious faults:

For each beer in database
If search for beer under its exact name doesn't find the beer
Flag that beer as needing attention, or better, automatically fix it

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. I'm sure you work on this stuff all the time. Ha ha ha!

LazyPyro
beers 8191 º places 63 º 13:58 Wed 10/18/2017

Originally posted by Bill Becker
Originally posted by Marko
Originally posted by Koelschtrinker
Sure, link works. but search for "Mühlen Kölsch" or just "Kölsch", that will bring up around 20 results while there are way more than 100 beers on RB with Kölsch in it

Why insist on using the umlauts?

Because in them yonder countries outside of Planet Mur'ca we have all those strange and wild and complicated characters that signify different sounds than "similar" characters y'all used to, which often carry different meaning to similar words without those letters and suchlike. And we'd like to get stuff correct and not just dumbed down for someone's "convenience".

Sorry for the snark, but doing something intentionally wrong because it's easier and a lot of people won't care should never, ever be done in any line of work.

For sure, using the correct way IS the way but I'm speaking more towards the folks, like me, who don't use the international keyboard and like the simplified way of searching beers without having to use special language characters.
Prost!

That's the point of this thread though... so one can search for either Kölsch or Kolsch and both will return the exact same results. The vast majority of users aren't going to have easy access to all the letters needed to correctly search for beers. The ideal case is to have everything written correctly in its native alphabet with the proper letters and diacritics, but also be easily found by users searching using the standard 26 letters we have in English. That ideal scenario is what Joe will eventually achieve by fixing up all the stuff we're pointing out.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 14:14 Wed 10/18/2017

Originally posted by LazyPyro
Originally posted by Marko
Originally posted by Koelschtrinker
Sure, link works. but search for "Mühlen Kölsch" or just "Kölsch", that will bring up around 20 results while there are way more than 100 beers on RB with Kölsch in it

Why insist on using the umlauts?

Because in them yonder countries outside of Planet Mur'ca we have all those strange and wild and complicated characters that signify different sounds than "similar" characters y'all used to, which often carry different meaning to similar words without those letters and suchlike. And we'd like to get stuff correct and not just dumbed down for someone's "convenience".

Sorry for the snark, but doing something intentionally wrong because it's easier and a lot of people won't care should never, ever be done in any line of work.

For sure, using the correct way IS the way but I'm speaking more towards the folks, like me, who don't use the international keyboard and like the simplified way of searching beers without having to use special language characters.
Prost!

That's the point of this thread though... so one can search for either Kölsch or Kolsch and both will return the exact same results. The vast majority of users aren't going to have easy access to all the letters needed to correctly search for beers. The ideal case is to have everything written correctly in its native alphabet with the proper letters and diacritics, but also be easily found by users searching using the standard 26 letters we have in English. That ideal scenario is what Joe will eventually achieve by fixing up all the stuff we're pointing out.

Joe will get er done.

FatPhil
beers 26154 º places 995 º 18:02 Wed 10/18/2017

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by FatPhil
This should be scriptable, and find all the low-hanging and most egregious faults:

For each beer in database
If search for beer under its exact name doesn't find the beer
Flag that beer as needing attention, or better, automatically fix it

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. I'm sure you work on this stuff all the time. Ha ha ha!

Not quite. Your database is pathetically tiny. I work with databases that stretch to petabytes. And handles unicode perfectly. Including search.

Oh, did I mention the fact that I wrote the code that handles the unicode search perfectly?

Why do you almost seem proud of the fact that you don't have much database smarts, given that you're in charge of what is effectively little more than a web-accessible database? (Your choice of database engine has put the first nail in the coffin already.)

martin00sr
beers 10987 º places 141 º 10:58 Mon 10/23/2017

Trying to search for "Ørbæk Christmas Ale" returns nothing. So it must be a new beer... not surprising maybe. To make sure, I search for "Ørbæk" which gives me ony two beers. "orbak" gives me nothing, browsing brewers by alpha returns nothing.
Clicking the brewery on one of the "Ørbæk" beers gives me "viewing temporarily disabled", probably because they have more than 100 entries. So am I having a new beer? There's no way to tell. BUT WAIT... Eric's old app and the otherwise useless new Ratebeer app finds it. How ironic...

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 18:21 Mon 10/23/2017

And, once again, non-English letters are broken: https://imgur.com/a/k2wn4

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 18:32 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by adamnowek

Not quite "once again". This is an ongoing issue that we are making slow progress on. I had to rollback Monday and Tuesday changes from last week. I will re-add those fixes late tonight.

CH-303
beers 4551 º places 137 º 05:30 Tue 10/24/2017

Originally posted by martin00sr
Trying to search for "Ørbæk Christmas Ale" returns nothing. So it must be a new beer... not surprising maybe. To make sure, I search for "Ørbæk" which gives me ony two beers. "orbak" gives me nothing, browsing brewers by alpha returns nothing.
Clicking the brewery on one of the "Ørbæk" beers gives me "viewing temporarily disabled", probably because they have more than 100 entries. So am I having a new beer? There's no way to tell. BUT WAIT... Eric's old app and the otherwise useless new Ratebeer app finds it. How ironic...

Looks like "viewing temporarily disabled" is gone now:
https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/rbk-bryggeri/2939/

nilsas
beers 9371 º places 322 º 05:42 Tue 10/24/2017

Not quite "once again". This is an ongoing issue that we are making slow progress on. I had to rollback Monday and Tuesday changes from last week. I will re-add those fixes late tonight.

Good work, I se progress day by day, still long road ahead, but improving.
I am probably among the most frustrated, we are strugling alot with the Norwegian characters æøå/ÆØÅ and other every day. I know how hard it is to make that work in search.
I have fait in Joe & CO will make it work in the end, but I know it is not done over night.

teddybeer
beers 5767 º places 208 º 07:43 Tue 10/24/2017

Originally posted by nilsas

Good work, I se progress day by day, still long road ahead, but improving.
I am probably among the most frustrated, we are strugling alot with the Norwegian characters æøå/ÆØÅ and other every day. I know how hard it is to make that work in search.
I have fait in Joe & CO will make it work in the end, but I know it is not done over night.

Hey, and what about ñ á é í ú ü ë,...