RateBeer update: New RateBeer mobile app version

Reads 3581 • Replies 25 • Started Thursday, October 26, 2017 4:07:29 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ratebeerian
beers 3 º places 1 º 14:32 Mon 10/30/2017

Originally posted by rouhlas
I add spots (through the website so far) in order to help others to find out which beers are available in a specific place or where they can find a specific beer.
I think most of the people are doing the same.
For my record I just write in my review where I has the beer.
So I think it would be great if we could see all the spots of a beer and not only ours.

Good to hear, that's the idea for the future. I need to think of a good way to present that info and will add it to the feature list. The end goal is to look up places nearby and see what beers they have available (powered by beer spots and third party info). The opposite should also be true (looking up specific beers and seeing where they're available).

wheresthepath
beers 3446 º places 281 º 19:23 Mon 10/30/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Ok what are Beer spots?

Sounds like a mild facial disfigurement caused by eating too many greasy beer snacks. Surely we can come up with better terminology than this?!

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 19:34 Mon 10/30/2017

Originally posted by wheresthepath
Ok what are Beer spots?

Sounds like a mild facial disfigurement caused by eating too many greasy beer snacks. Surely we can come up with better terminology than this?!

Beer Paths?

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 02:26 Tue 10/31/2017

Originally posted by ratebeerian
Hey everyone, Stefanos here from the RateBeer mobile team. As you've noticed and pointed out, beer spots is pretty simple so far, but users are showing interest in it already. There's confusion about what its purpose is, so I'm planning on testing some language tweaks (e.g., it could say "spot this" instead of "beer spots"). Do you think that would make it clearer?

Location services are coming soon so you can quickly find locations nearby and spot a beer without having to use text search. Spotting is separate from "places" on the web since the idea is to associate a beer with a place.

Let me know if you have any questions and keep the feedback coming.

Is adding information by tapping on Beer Spots different than adding availability information from the website? If not, why?

caesar
beers 7642 º places 411 º 03:25 Tue 10/31/2017

What I would like to see is a better integration with the website. This is probably the most challenging part. Some food for thought:

- I use the latest activity page a lot, to see what people that I follow are drinking. Currently the app does not give 1 line "caesar rated beer X and 24 more, instead it shows 25 separate messages.

- I use the 'my friends' tab on a beer page to investigate if people of my local tasting group have already had a beer (rated in this context). But this does not show ticks or private ratings. I would love to see this implemented, so I can see in 1 view who has or hasnt tasted a specific beer I was planning on bringing to a tasting.

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 03:28 Tue 10/31/2017

Originally posted by caesar
What I would like to see is a better integration with the website. This is probably the most challenging part. Some food for thought:

- I use the latest activity page a lot, to see what people that I follow are drinking. Currently the app does not give 1 line "caesar rated beer X and 24 more, instead it shows 25 separate messages.

- I use the 'my friends' tab on a beer page to investigate if people of my local tasting group have already had a beer (rated in this context). But this does not show ticks or private ratings. I would love to see this implemented, so I can see in 1 view who has or hasnt tasted a specific beer I was planning on bringing to a tasting.

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 04:16 Tue 10/31/2017

Well i managed to get rid of the ticks/ personal ratings on web site . Yeah. Love the Country and breweries numbers being visible.

Still struggle with the Eleasic Search like Gan staller doesnt work cause of the space. Though for some reason i thought there was one.

Can still see it being a real pain in places where i cant read chalk board well. SO need guess lots of letters.
and no idea how it will work when people tell me out load but time will tell

Hell, even I used it yesterday. I put in the search Gadd Dog and it does bring up my rating of Ramsgate Gadd's Dogbolter., so an improvement.
Am back in London tomorrow doing some quick pub rating so will try it out again to see if it's usable on a regular basis.

ratebeerian
beers 3 º places 1 º 08:48 Tue 10/31/2017

Originally posted by adamnowek
Originally posted by ratebeerian
Hey everyone, Stefanos here from the RateBeer mobile team. As you've noticed and pointed out, beer spots is pretty simple so far, but users are showing interest in it already. There's confusion about what its purpose is, so I'm planning on testing some language tweaks (e.g., it could say "spot this" instead of "beer spots"). Do you think that would make it clearer?

Location services are coming soon so you can quickly find locations nearby and spot a beer without having to use text search. Spotting is separate from "places" on the web since the idea is to associate a beer with a place.

Let me know if you have any questions and keep the feedback coming.

Is adding information by tapping on Beer Spots different than adding availability information from the website? If not, why?

It's the same! If you add availability on the page after leaving a rating on the web, you'll see the beer spot show up on mobile and vice-versa.

ratebeerian
beers 3 º places 1 º 09:08 Tue 10/31/2017

Originally posted by caesar

This is great feedback, thanks. The landing page of the app will definitely evolve over time to be more of a feed/actually useful beyond searching. Good to know you want to see it be more consolidated.

For the part about friends, are you saying you want to see ticks/private ratings for friends? My only concern is that these are private right now, so users might not want to share them (especially if they work in the industry). I could look into an optional setting to make them visible to friends, but that would complicate things a bit.

rouhlas
admin
beers 5623 º places 348 º 10:20 Tue 10/31/2017

I agree with caesar too.. For example instead of seeing the last searched beers in the "default" search page of the app:

I would prefer something like the website's "latest activity":