Saison goes with everything

Reads 1129 • Replies 6 • Started Saturday, August 6, 2016 7:30:40 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

muzzlehatch
beers 4975 º places 327 º 19:30 Sat 8/6/2016

In my younger, ignoble days when I thought that there were many foods that beer didn’t pair so well with, I used to believe that champagne was the accompaniment that worked with all kinds of foods & cuisines - well, perhaps not some desserts, but nearly everything. But in the past couple of weeks I’ve had an Indian seafood dish and a cabbage dish, with a saison, and tonight I’m having a beef-with-broccoli with loads of garlic, mustard and honey, and again having saison. The general dryness, full body, soft mouthfeel, lightly mineralic qualities and herbal characteristics just seem to work with most kinds of foods to me - not drowning out the flavor of the meal, but also being able to stand up and assert themselves. I like lambic with a lot of food also, but there aren’t that many I can get here, it’s expensive, and sometimes that level of tartness is too aggressive. Saison is IT I think.

Hard to disagree. Is this your experience with different types of cheeses as well? I used to think the same of Pils (Czech) until having it with certain types of cheeses.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 20:27 Sat 8/6/2016

Orval pairs with everything, including chocolate. But saison is pretty versatile.

rennat42
beers 5363 º places 205 º 20:50 Sat 8/6/2016

Not my favorite style, but I’d have to agree it tends to cover a lot more bases that most anything else.

muzzlehatch
beers 4975 º places 327 º 21:59 Sat 8/6/2016

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Hard to disagree. Is this your experience with different types of cheeses as well? I used to think the same of Pils (Czech) until having it with certain types of cheeses.

Yeah I think saison does well with cheese - in particular the soft, farmy sheep and goat cheeses. But I think a stronger, sweeter style like certain barley wines, imperials stouts and Belgian quads might do as well with an aged cheddar or something of that sort.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 23:05 Sat 8/6/2016

What would your uncle say?

muzzlehatch
beers 4975 º places 327 º 09:19 Sun 8/7/2016

Originally posted by fly
What would your uncle say?

Something like, "Well boy, yu take yer fancy beers with that fancy food youse allas eatin, from them weird places like Indja an Mexxico, me I just wisht I coulda got me a ice cold Bud Light when I went through th Culvers drive-in tother day"