Smoking a Brisket (BBQ not the other way)

Reads 7594 • Replies 62 • Started Monday, May 12, 2014 5:53:03 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Reid
beers 3538 º places 95 º 21:04 Sun 5/18/2014

My ex has my smoker but isnt 250 for that long overkill?
In my cabinet smoker after the initial 2-3 hours at 220-50 I took it down to like 180 for the next 4.
Then this was baby backs,chops half chicken. Not brisket
I also prefer applewood for the first couple of hours at least

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 21:05 Sun 5/18/2014

Braising is better for lazy people. Brown the dry meat, add liquids and stuff, forget...

FooFaa
beers 1 º places 29 º 22:01 Sun 5/18/2014

Originally posted by Reid
My ex has my smoker but isnt 250 for that long overkill?
In my cabinet smoker after the initial 2-3 hours at 220-50 I took it down to like 180 for the next 4.
Then this was baby backs,chops half chicken. Not brisket
I also prefer applewood for the first couple of hours at least

For brisket? Nope. I don’t really go off time. I have a remote thermometer that I use to monitor things.

jdb288
beers 584 º places 98 º 05:07 Mon 5/19/2014

FooFaa - Ever make cannonball cabbage? Hollow out the core from a head of cabbage, drop in a peeled onion, a few tablespoons of butter, some beef bouillon, salt & pepper, then wrap the base in tin foil and sit it in your smoker for 4-5 hours alongside your brisket (or whatever you have on at the time).

Chop that cabbage/onion up together after it comes off the smoker, maybe add some meat drippings, and then eat it. It’s amazing. I throw in some meat from whatever came off the smoker too.

FooFaa
beers 1 º places 29 º 07:44 Mon 5/19/2014

No, but I definitely have to try that sometime. Sounds amazing!

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 13:16 Mon 5/19/2014

After going to Franklin’s last week, I’m going to watch those videos a hundred times. I’ve never had brisket that moist and fall-apart delicious. The fat all melted to the consistency of butter. It wasn’t dry at all. I didn’t even use a fork, just pulled chunks off of the slices to eat. It was, by far, the best I’ve ever had.

foppa78
places 12 º 13:26 Mon 5/19/2014

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
After going to Franklin’s last week, I’m going to watch those videos a hundred times. I’ve never had brisket that moist and fall-apart delicious. The fat all melted to the consistency of butter. It wasn’t dry at all. I didn’t even use a fork, just pulled chunks off of the slices to eat. It was, by far, the best I’ve ever had.

show off

FooFaa
beers 1 º places 29 º 16:53 Mon 5/19/2014

Originally posted by GodOfThunder

I was in Austin a month or so ago. Unfortunately, I was there for a limited amount of time, and did not get to go Franklin. I’ll be back soon, and with more time...a lot more time. ;-)

FooFaa
beers 1 º places 29 º 16:33 Fri 5/23/2014

Picked up a couple of briskets today. Going to get the salt and pepper rub going in a bit.

SP23
beers 10 º places 3 º 17:29 Fri 5/23/2014

FooFa your rub seems very simple. I am suprised you don’t use some type of sweet and heat rub. My rub has brown sugar, paprika, onion powder, granulated garlic, fresh ground black pepper, salt, dry mustard and various chilli powders. Have you tried this type of rub? I use it on all beef and I smoke with an off set stick burner as well as a propane model. Thanks for all the good tips, they confirm that I am doing it right now. It took me about 5 briskets before I got it perfect. Good luck with the weekend smoking.