Spent grain and bread

Reads 2572 • Replies 23 • Started Sunday, May 4, 2014 7:55:10 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Frank
beers 4564 º places 92 º 08:17 Mon 5/5/2014

I make that no-knead recipe you see everywhere w/ just about a half cup or so spent grain subbed in for some of the flour. It is nice to also springle some of the grain on top just for appearance’s sake. Err on the side of using too little spent grain. I have had a bunch of trouble w/ my loaves turning out too doughy.

I actually pretty much agree w/ phredrik in that I think at best it makes your loaves no worse. I don’t mind the husks but it strikes me as a troublesome addition that doesn’t really add much, most of the flavor being washed out of the grains from the sparging process. I have been meaning to try just stealing a cup of the actual mash before sparging and experimenting w/ that since it would be nice and sweet w/ a lot of malt character.

phredrik
beers 1024 º places 31 º 16:09 Mon 5/5/2014

I’m with you on that, Frank, I’ve also been thinking about adding actual malt or mash, especially darker malts for color and flavor. Perhaps I should try that next time...

weihenweizen
beers 7013 º places 700 º 12:26 Wed 5/7/2014

Originally posted by b3shine
Originally posted by weihenweizen
Jackie O’s used to make pizzas with spent grain, really good.

Sooo good! Did they stop?

It is on their new menu. I corrected my post. Their pizza is toward the thinner end of the spectrum and I typically like thicker crust, but I like theirs.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 13:59 Wed 5/7/2014

Originally posted by b3shine
Jackie O’s used to make pizzas with spent grain, really good.

Sooo good! Did they stop?

It is on their new menu. I corrected my post. Their pizza is toward the thinner end of the spectrum and I typically like thicker crust, but I like theirs.

Jackie O’s has the best pizza in Ohio.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 16:40 Wed 5/7/2014

Originally posted by Frank
I have been meaning to try just stealing a cup of the actual mash before sparging and experimenting w/ that since it would be nice and sweet w/ a lot of malt character.

You’ll end up with soup. Alpha-amylase breaks down gluten. In my experience, you can get away with an absolute maximum of 20% barley in bread before ending up with soup. I wouldn’t recommend going over 10%, personally.

Frank
beers 4564 º places 92 º 17:31 Wed 5/7/2014

Originally posted by puzzl
I have been meaning to try just stealing a cup of the actual mash before sparging and experimenting w/ that since it would be nice and sweet w/ a lot of malt character.

You’ll end up with soup. Alpha-amylase breaks down gluten. In my experience, you can get away with an absolute maximum of 20% barley in bread before ending up with soup. I wouldn’t recommend going over 10%, personally.

Oh dang. Never even thought of that. Might work to heat it on the stove to deactivate the enzyme...

Frank
beers 4564 º places 92 º 17:32 Wed 5/7/2014

That also explains why bagel recipes always call for non-diastic malt powder.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 11:04 Thu 5/8/2014

Originally posted by puzzl

Oh dang. Never even thought of that. Might work to heat it on the stove to deactivate the enzyme...

Dickinsonbeer has recommended that to me before but I haven’t tried it yet

allendodd
beers 118 º places 2 º 07:28 Mon 6/23/2014

Baking had been the plan for last weekend, but I ended up out of town and unable to take advantage of my neighbor’s brewing.

They were doing a porter and I was really hoping for a shot at this. Oh, well. Next time.

And thanks for all the info, guys.

CLevar
places 23 º 08:03 Mon 6/23/2014

Dodd, I can very easily freeze some spent grain for you next time we brew if you are looking for another source.