A ranking of every brewery in Metro Vancouver

Reads 1983 • Replies 12 • Started Thursday, February 9, 2017 2:51:58 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

fiulijn
beers 28373 º places 745 º 12:45 Fri 2/10/2017

Originally posted by jmcelroy1987
Hey Oakes,

It’s Justin, the guy behind the rankings here. Really neat list - quite close to mine in the top 10 with the exception of R&B. If our group continues doing this, we’ll probably add breweries close to Metro Van (along with the new ones in East Vancouver), and I’m interested to see where Persephone and Howe Sound would end up ranking.

Hi Justin, nice work overall.
I’m curious to know what was so off-putting at Steel Toad, what was so outstanding at Storm.

I would be interested to know about individual beers.
If you keep doing this, why not adding your beer scores to RB?
The requirement is only 75 characters, not painful at all, and you (and your friends) would really be able show also which beers are more impressive.
There’s no official App from RB, but with a modern smartphone the website rating is just as easy.

jmcelroy1987
02:08 Tue 2/14/2017

I can’t speak for everyone in our group who ranked each place, but the two times I went to Steel Toad for our "research", there were only four taps available, none were particularly good (the IPA was particularly underwhelming to me), and everything about the operation and restaurant seemed completely bland - it definitely had the least personality or uniqueness of every place we went to, and I think that was one of the reasons nobody took a shine to it ... even though on the overall merits, you could make a strong case for 3-5 places being "better".

As for Storm, I’m always a sucker for their Vanilla Whiskey Stout and Imperial Red Sour (though it’s not as good as when it first came out).

We might add our rankings of individual beers if we do an expansion, but one of our thoughts going in (other than having an excuse to try all these places) was that there were so many smart people already rating beers, so we wanted to do something different.

Originally posted by fiulijn
Originally posted by jmcelroy1987
Hey Oakes,

It’s Justin, the guy behind the rankings here. Really neat list - quite close to mine in the top 10 with the exception of R&B. If our group continues doing this, we’ll probably add breweries close to Metro Van (along with the new ones in East Vancouver), and I’m interested to see where Persephone and Howe Sound would end up ranking.

Hi Justin, nice work overall.
I’m curious to know what was so off-putting at Steel Toad, what was so outstanding at Storm.

I would be interested to know about individual beers.
If you keep doing this, why not adding your beer scores to RB?
The requirement is only 75 characters, not painful at all, and you (and your friends) would really be able show also which beers are more impressive.
There’s no official App from RB, but with a modern smartphone the website rating is just as easy.